Обсуждение: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

It's time again to collect/coordinate press lists and press contacts for the
8.0 release.

We need an "official press contact" for each language and/or continent.  If
you're the official contact, you will need to be able to take phone calls and
e-mails from reporters seeking follow-up on the release notice.   Off the top
of my head, we'll need the following countries, languages and regions.   Many
of the languages will be covered by the translation volunteers, but they
don't have to be:

U.S/Canada: East and West Coast (Josh Berkus and Bruce Momjian?)
Mexico/Central America: ?
South America (Alvarro?)
Brazil (Diogo?)
Australia: Gavin Sherry
Japan (Tetsuo & JPUG?)
India (Shridhar?)
South Africa: ?
Russia (Oleg?)
Hungary (Laszlo?)
France/French Europe: (Jean-Paul?)
Germany/German Europe: (Peter? Cornelia?)
UK: (Simon?)
Italy (Gaetano?  Stefan?)
Sweden: Dennis B.
Other countries/places?

What the Press Contact will have to do is:
-- collect a list of "local" tech press to send the release to.   If any of
these press are English-language, clear them with Josh to make sure that we
don't double-mail anyone (you can ask for help from others to do this!)
-- operate the [country-code]@postgresql.org e-mail address and answer
questions from the public and the press there
-- preferably provide a phone number to take phone calls from reporters
-- be willing to take direction from Core and the community on what to talk
about with the press

So, who's first?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
Hi,

> France/French Europe: (Jean-Paul?)

Nope, that's still me (Francois Suter). Jean-Paul is busy with the
French website (http://www.postgresqlfr.org/).

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people
what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Re: 8.0 Release: DE

От
Anastasios Hatzis
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 01:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Germany/German Europe: (Peter? Cornelia?)

Mails to de@postgresql.org are replied by Cornelia and me since release
7.4. I don't know if Peter still monitors this mailbox, I didn't have
contact to him since v7.4.

> What the Press Contact will have to do is:
> -- collect a list of "local" tech press to send the release to.   If any of
> these press are English-language, clear them with Josh to make sure that we
> don't double-mail anyone (you can ask for help from others to do this!)

I still have my local tech press list here. If nobody suggest other
Cornelia or me would send press release to same media as for 7.4. The
list covers Germany and German-speaking press in Switzerland. Austria
press could be covered by Ewald.

> -- operate the [country-code]@postgresql.org e-mail address and answer
> questions from the public and the press there

see earlier in this mail

> -- preferably provide a phone number to take phone calls from reporters

Since release 7.4 phone number is 030-20005020 or +49-30-20005020. If
anyone else wants to provide a phone number please drop me a note, Josh.

> -- be willing to take direction from Core and the community on what to talk
> about with the press

Directions always welcome :-)

Anastasios

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Devrim,

> I remember to have tr@PostgreSQL.org before, but it does not exists now...

Actually, you have devrim@postgresql.org from some of your work on WWW.   Oh
dear, I've received some enquiries in Turkish which I forwarded there ....

Will reset your password, and send it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi Josh,

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> I remember to have tr@PostgreSQL.org before, but it does not exists now...
>
> Actually, you have devrim@postgresql.org from some of your work on WWW.   Oh
> dear, I've received some enquiries in Turkish which I forwarded there ....
>
> Will reset your password, and send it.

Hey stop :)  I know the password of devrim@PostgreSQL.org and check it
very very often.  I -additionally- had tr@PostgreSQL.org.

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
              http://www.tdmsoft.com
              http://www.gunduz.org

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 00:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It's time again to collect/coordinate press lists and press contacts for the
> 8.0 release.
>
> We need an "official press contact" for each language and/or continent.  If
> you're the official contact, you will need to be able to take phone calls and
> e-mails from reporters seeking follow-up on the release notice.   Off the top
> of my head, we'll need the following countries, languages and regions.   Many
> of the languages will be covered by the translation volunteers, but they
> don't have to be:
>

> UK: (Simon?)

Yes, I'm good for that.

Will do Ireland (Eire) also, .ie
unless we have another volunteer.
...Donnacha Mac Gloinn was on the advocacy list a while back???

> What the Press Contact will have to do is:
> -- collect a list of "local" tech press to send the release to.   If any of
> these press are English-language, clear them with Josh to make sure that we
> don't double-mail anyone (you can ask for help from others to do this!)
> -- operate the [country-code]@postgresql.org e-mail address and answer
> questions from the public and the press there
> -- preferably provide a phone number to take phone calls from reporters
> -- be willing to take direction from Core and the community on what to talk
> about with the press

Yup, good with all of that.

But ONE request: Can we have at least 24 hrs notice of the final
release? I want to make sure I know about it before they do!

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Simon,

> But ONE request: Can we have at least 24 hrs notice of the final
> release? I want to make sure I know about it before they do!

Oh, the release will *have* to go out with at least 4 days notice.  Otherwise
people can't coordinate.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Jean-Christophe Arnu
Дата:
Francois Suter m'expliquait  (le 01.11.2004 09:13):

> Hi,
>
>> France/French Europe: (Jean-Paul?)
>

> Nope, that's still me (Francois Suter). Jean-Paul is busy with the
> French website (http://www.postgresqlfr.org/).

    Maybe you can count on me for "backup" contact, if interested.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Christophe

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:38:09 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
[...]
> What the Press Contact will have to do is:
> -- collect a list of "local" tech press to send the release to.   If any of
> these press are English-language, clear them with Josh to make sure that we
> don't double-mail anyone (you can ask for help from others to do this!)
> -- operate the [country-code]@postgresql.org e-mail address and answer
> questions from the public and the press there
> -- preferably provide a phone number to take phone calls from reporters
> -- be willing to take direction from Core and the community on what to talk
> about with the press

I'm willing to try doing so for Polish language (send release to tech
portals and
magazines, and I won't mind giving my phone number, etc. etc.).

   Regards.
     Dawid Kuroczko

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Diogo Biazus
Дата:
Hi Josh,

I'll be the press contact here in Brazil, I'm already making some contacts here

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:49:28 +0100, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:38:09 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> > What the Press Contact will have to do is:
> > -- collect a list of "local" tech press to send the release to.   If any of
> > these press are English-language, clear them with Josh to make sure that we
> > don't double-mail anyone (you can ask for help from others to do this!)
> > -- operate the [country-code]@postgresql.org e-mail address and answer
> > questions from the public and the press there
> > -- preferably provide a phone number to take phone calls from reporters
> > -- be willing to take direction from Core and the community on what to talk
> > about with the press
>
> I'm willing to try doing so for Polish language (send release to tech
> portals and
> magazines, and I won't mind giving my phone number, etc. etc.).
>
>    Regards.
>      Dawid Kuroczko

Diogo Biazus
diogob@gmail.com
http://www.postgresql.org.br

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 04:38:09PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> U.S/Canada: East and West Coast (Josh Berkus and Bruce Momjian?)
> Mexico/Central America: ?
> South America (Alvarro?)
                     ^^

That's one R only.  Anyway I think it's best to have one contact per
country in South America.  There's me in Chile, Christian Kuroki in
Argentina and there was a guy from Ecuador asking what he could do to
help (I directed him to this list yesterday).  I don't know how things
are in Europe but down here there's not a lot of contact between
countries.  At least not between my country and others, and I think that
(non-geek) people in Peru and Bolivia would be annoyed if they had to
contact anyone in Chile.

"Aprende a avergonzarte más ante ti que ante los demás" (Demócrito)

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
>> Hi,

Hi,

>    Maybe you can count on me for "backup" contact, if interested.

Gladly yes. Anyway, like last time, I will submit the translated press
release for review to the whole French community via the
pgsql-fr-generale mailing list.

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people
what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> escribió:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 04:38:09PM -0800, Josh
> Berkus wrote:
>
> > U.S/Canada: East and West Coast (Josh Berkus and
> Bruce Momjian?)
> > Mexico/Central America: ?
> > South America (Alvarro?)
>                      ^^
>
> That's one R only.  Anyway I think it's best to have
> one contact per
> country in South America.  There's me in Chile,
> Christian Kuroki in
> Argentina and there was a guy from Ecuador asking
> what he could do to
> help (I directed him to this list yesterday).

Hi guys,

i'm here waiting for the final release i will promote
postgresql in my country (Ecuador).

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Josh Berkus
Everyone:

Sorry for the stall on this.   I've been working on a project that's taken
from 9am to 11pm each day this week; I should be able to get the translation
stuff together as soon as it's finished.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Дата:
> >   Maybe you can count on me for "backup" contact, if interested.
>
> Gladly yes. Anyway, like last time, I will submit the translated press
> release for review to the whole French community via the
> pgsql-fr-generale mailing list.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

It's true I have already much to do with postgresqlfr.org, translating
pgsql-announce posts and, in a few, official documentation, giving Guillaume
Lelarge a help on it.

I'm also busy with Solutions Linux Paris Feb 2005: I prepare the RDBMS
Session, with Bruce and Jan (and others) will talk.

Finaly, I'd like our non-profit organization to be up before the
end of the year. This organization will be everywhere in France (later Europe I
hope), where a booth or a demo or whatever is needed around PostgreSQL.

The last two tasks will give me things to do up to feb or march 2005, so... :)

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO

 Site perso : http://www.argudo.org
 PostgreSQL : http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 l'APRIL    : http://www.april.org

Re: 8.0 Release: Press Contacts, Lists

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It's time again to collect/coordinate press lists and press contacts for the
> 8.0 release.

Is there someone already in Italy that is doing this work ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola