Обсуждение: upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

От
"Richard O. Hammer"
Дата:
Hello,

I hope someone can tell me how to recover my database tables.  I recently
upgraded to a new Linux server.  First I saved a copy of my
/var/lib/pgsql/data/*, which was created with PG version 7.4.  On the new Linux
server I have PG version 8.1.11.

But now, trying use my old tables, I discover that I should have saved the
tables with the pg_dumpall command before I abandoned the version-7.4 Postgres
server.  Unfortunately I did not know about pg_dumpall.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way I can read and update my version-7.4 data
directory with my version-8.1 postmaster.

Here is one thing I've tried:
  bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/old/data
  FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
  DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.4, which
is not compatible with this version 8.1.1

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich Hammer
Hillsborough, N.C.

Re: upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

От
Andrzej Zawadzki
Дата:
On 20.02.2010 22:26, Richard O. Hammer wrote:
> Hello,

Hi!
> I hope someone can tell me how to recover my database tables.  I
> recently upgraded to a new Linux server.  First I saved a copy of my
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/*, which was created with PG version 7.4.  On the
> new Linux server I have PG version 8.1.11.
>
> But now, trying use my old tables, I discover that I should have saved
> the tables with the pg_dumpall command before I abandoned the
> version-7.4 Postgres server.  Unfortunately I did not know about
> pg_dumpall.
>
> So now I'm wondering if there is a way I can read and update my
> version-7.4 data directory with my version-8.1 postmaster.
>
> Here is one thing I've tried:
>  bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/old/data
>  FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
>  DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version
> 7.4, which is not compatible with this version 8.1.1
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Downgrade to 7.4
Dump
Upgrade
Restore

--
Andrzej Zawadzki

Re: upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Andrzej Zawadzki <zawadaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Downgrade to 7.4
> Dump
> Upgrade
> Restore

Actually that's not the best way.

The best way is to install 7.4 and 8.1.19 (not 8.1.11 which has known
bugs) at the same time.

Use the pg_dump *from* *8.1.19* to connect to the 7.4 server and dump
the database.
Then shut down 7.4 and start up 8.1.19 and use pg_restore to restore
the database.

--
greg

Re: upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

От
Andrzej Zawadzki
Дата:
On 21.02.2010 00:22, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Andrzej Zawadzki <zawadaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Downgrade to 7.4
>> Dump
>> Upgrade
>> Restore
>>

> Actually that's not the best way.

True bat not easier for beginner ;-)
> The best way is to install 7.4 and 8.1.19 (not 8.1.11 which has known
> bugs) at the same time.
>
> Use the pg_dump *from* *8.1.19* to connect to the 7.4 server and dump
> the database.
> Then shut down 7.4 and start up 8.1.19 and use pg_restore to restore
> the database.

BTW. Isn't better make static (?) (stand alone) build of pg_dump(all)?
Postgresql engine could be 7.1 and pg_dump will in 8.1 version.
Much easier to upgrade on one machine.

--
Andrzej Zawadzki