Обсуждение: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

От
Konstantin Gredeskoul
Дата:
Dear PostgreSQL admins and gurus,

I always knew that installing Postgres using Yum/RPM/etc is a very bad
idea, but decided to try it on one my boxes that runs local wiki/Trac.

I added /etc/yum.repos.d/pgdg-84-centos.repo to my yum configuration
and installed PostgreSQL version 8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.i386

Today I ran "yum update", which quietly upgraded my installation to
"8.4rc1-1PGDG.rhel5.i386" and now my server does not start.

-bash-3.2$ pg_ctl --version
pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 8.4rc1
-bash-3.2$ pg_ctl -D /db/data start
server starting
-bash-3.2$ FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
200902242, but the server was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
200904091.
HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.

I do NOT have a pg_dump of the database because I did not anticipate
this idiocy.

I am looking for any help on how I can revert back to the previous
version of PostgreSQL so that I can read the database, do pg_dump, and
never EVER use yum again to upgrade it.

Please halp!

Konstantin

Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Konstantin
Gredeskoul<kig@dropinmedia.com> wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL admins and gurus,
>
> I always knew that installing Postgres using Yum/RPM/etc is a very bad idea,
> but decided to try it on one my boxes that runs local wiki/Trac.
>
> I added /etc/yum.repos.d/pgdg-84-centos.repo to my yum configuration and
> installed PostgreSQL version 8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.i386
>
> Today I ran "yum update", which quietly upgraded my installation to
> "8.4rc1-1PGDG.rhel5.i386" and now my server does not start.
>
> -bash-3.2$ pg_ctl --version
> pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 8.4rc1
> -bash-3.2$ pg_ctl -D /db/data start
> server starting
> -bash-3.2$ FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
> 200902242, but the server was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200904091.
> HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.
>
> I do NOT have a pg_dump of the database because I did not anticipate this
> idiocy.
>
> I am looking for any help on how I can revert back to the previous version
> of PostgreSQL so that I can read the database, do pg_dump, and never EVER
> use yum again to upgrade it.

This is NOT yum's fault.  PostgreSQL does not guarantee data directory
consistency from one rc to another, through beta, etc.  Until 8.4.0
comes out, it could change each and every time.

Got a backup of the original 8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.i386
package?  I'd think reinstalling that would fix your problen.

Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 22:10 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Got a backup of the original 8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.i386
> package?  I'd think reinstalling that would fix your problen.

Unfortunately I removed binary -devel packages from the repository.
However, SRPM do exist:

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/srpms/8.4/redhat/rhel-5-i386/postgresql-8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.src.rpm

You can build them in your platform, and as Scott said, install them,
backup old data and then update to RC1.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

От
Scott Mead
OP: Downgrade to your original version, then do a pg_dump.
I'm not sure the yum command to do this, but there must be some.  To be version specific you can look at the PG_VERSION file in your data directory.