Обсуждение: Warm-standby in 8.2

Warm-standby in 8.2

От
"Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67"
Дата:
Hi,

We have created a postgres database with a warm-standby in postgres 8.2
following the document on the archive by Charles Duffy. The standby
database is in continuous recovery mode and archived logs are synced to
the standby from primary, every 10 minutes. The primary and the standby
database are running fine but we need to monitor the standby database to
check that it is up, it is getting synced every 10 minutes, and that it
is not out of sync with primary database. What would be the best way to
make these checks or what processes to check to make sure that the
archived logs from primary database are continuously getting applied on
the standby database.

There must be other people using this set up so just need advice on how
people are monitoring the standby database. Any suggestions or help will
be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Paramjeet Bhella

Re: Warm-standby in 8.2

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:31 -0400, Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have created a postgres database with a warm-standby in postgres 8.2
> following the document on the archive by Charles Duffy. The standby
> database is in continuous recovery mode and archived logs are synced to
> the standby from primary, every 10 minutes. The primary and the standby
> database are running fine but we need to monitor the standby database to
> check that it is up, it is getting synced every 10 minutes, and that it
> is not out of sync with primary database. What would be the best way to
> make these checks or what processes to check to make sure that the
> archived logs from primary database are continuously getting applied on
> the standby database.
>
> There must be other people using this set up so just need advice on how
> people are monitoring the standby database. Any suggestions or help will
> be highly appreciated.

If you set the logging to debug2 in the postgresql.conf on the standby,
it will tell you what logs are being restored as they are restored.
Further pg_standby will tell you in the process list.

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks
> Paramjeet Bhella

Re: Warm-standby in 8.2

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:31 -0400, Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67 wrote:

> We have created a postgres database with a warm-standby in postgres 8.2
> following the document on the archive by Charles Duffy.

Please can you read the main docs? The above document is out of date.

If there is something not mentioned there we will update them.

Re: Warm-standby in 8.2

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
>>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at  6:31 PM, in message
<C84662912D280D4AB5C50100A100F0C503715DDA@ct11exm61.ds.mot.com>,
"Bhella
Paramjeet-PFCW67" <PBhella@Motorola.com> wrote:

> we need to monitor the standby database to
> check that it is up, it is getting synced every 10 minutes, and that
it
> is not out of sync with primary database. What would be the best way
> make these checks or what processes to check to make sure that the
> archived logs from primary database are continuously getting applied
on
> the standby database.

We run pg_controldata for the warm standby to make sure that "Database
cluster state" is 'in archive recovery' and "Time of latest
checkpoint" doesn't get too stale.  We also run pg_ctl status and make
sure that it reports 'server is running'.  This can all be scripted.

-Kevin