Обсуждение: postgresql configuration nits

postgresql configuration nits

От
Sarah Officer
Дата:
I am compiling postgres 6.5.3 on an IRIX running version 6.5 of the
OS.  I ran into a few problems which are surmountable, but perhaps
they should be fixed.  I believe problems 1 and 3 are platform
independent.  I have no idea what causes problem 2.  Any ideas?

1. I am not installing my software in /usr/local.  Here's how I want
to install my software:

BASE_DIR
    include - platform independent include files go here
    man - platform independent man pages
    other - other directories for stuff htat is platform independent
    IRIXDIR - a directory for things particular to SGI
    bin - binaries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX
        lib - libraries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX

For most packages I build with configure, this is easily
accomplished by useing '--prefix=$BASE_DIR
--exec-prefix=BASE_DIR/IRIXDIR'.  When I use these flags for
postgres, however, the binaries get put into BASE_DIR/bin.  That
won't work in a multi-platform environment.

2. I also notice that unless I specify  '--with-CC=cc', configure is
assuming gcc.  I don't have gcc in my path, so I don't know why it
is being selected.  There are some copies of gcc in our network, but
they are not to be used for this project (and thus they are not in
my path).  Why does this happen?  The compile fails quickly.

3. I selected the '--with-tcl' compile option.  The compilation
fails because it can't find tcl.h.  This occurs both in
src/interfaces/libpgtcl directory and in the src/bin/pgtclsh.  The
tcl package I wish to use is installed in the same hierarchy I wish
to install postgres.  I think it would be reasonable when --prefix
is given as a configure option to add '-I$(prefix)' to CFLAGS and
when --exec-prefix is given, add '-L$(exec_prefix)' to the link
line.  I don't know the syntax for that, but you get the idea.

Just some suggestions.  They would certainly make the compile go
more easily for us.

Sarah Officer
officers@aries.tucson.saic.com

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql configuration nits

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2000-01-11, Sarah Officer mentioned:

> 1. I am not installing my software in /usr/local.  Here's how I want
> to install my software:
>
> BASE_DIR
>     include - platform independent include files go here
>     man - platform independent man pages
>     other - other directories for stuff htat is platform independent
>     IRIXDIR - a directory for things particular to SGI
>     bin - binaries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX
>         lib - libraries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX
>
> For most packages I build with configure, this is easily
> accomplished by useing '--prefix=$BASE_DIR
> --exec-prefix=BASE_DIR/IRIXDIR'.  When I use these flags for
> postgres, however, the binaries get put into BASE_DIR/bin.  That
> won't work in a multi-platform environment.

We are not very conformant regarding all of this sharedstatedir,
libexecdir, etc. business. You're the first to complain about this that I
recall. One fine day we might use automake, then all of this will work
much better. If you bug me enough, maybe for 7.1.

> 2. I also notice that unless I specify  '--with-CC=cc', configure is
> assuming gcc.  I don't have gcc in my path, so I don't know why it
> is being selected.  There are some copies of gcc in our network, but
> they are not to be used for this project (and thus they are not in
> my path).  Why does this happen?  The compile fails quickly.

If it really is like you said you should address the autoconf developers
about this.

> 3. I selected the '--with-tcl' compile option.  The compilation
> fails because it can't find tcl.h.  This occurs both in
> src/interfaces/libpgtcl directory and in the src/bin/pgtclsh.  The
> tcl package I wish to use is installed in the same hierarchy I wish
> to install postgres.  I think it would be reasonable when --prefix
> is given as a configure option to add '-I$(prefix)' to CFLAGS and
> when --exec-prefix is given, add '-L$(exec_prefix)' to the link
> line.  I don't know the syntax for that, but you get the idea.

In my view that's not reasonable, but anyway. I guess you'd have to do
--with-tcl=/where/it/is