Обсуждение: feature request

feature request

От
Grazvydas Valeika
Дата:
Hi,

I would like to have an opportunity to see that content of query result cell is too long to display.

F.e. situation:
I have query with array_agg function in one column. Most of rows bring up to 20 values, some ~100, only one row brings ~700 integer values, but in pgAdmin result grid this cell is empty and looks exactly like null value.

It took some time to figure out what is going on. Thread http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-11/msg00812.php helped.

It seems to me, that principle of least surprise  is not applied there.

Thanks,

Grazvydas

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 06/01/2011 10:01, Grazvydas Valeika a écrit :
> [...]
> I would like to have an opportunity to see that content of query result
> cell is too long to display.
>
> F.e. situation:
> I have query with array_agg function in one column. Most of rows bring
> up to 20 values, some ~100, only one row brings ~700 integer values, but
> in pgAdmin result grid this cell is empty and looks exactly like null
> value.
>
> It took some time to figure out what is going on. Thread
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-11/msg00812.php helped.
>
> It seems to me, that /principle/ of least /surprise/  is not applied there.

Yeah, this is something we would like to have. Probably displaying the
beginning of the string, and then an ellipsis. And you will have the
complete content in another window. But we need to find time to work on
this.

Thanks for your request.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: feature request

От
Grazvydas Valeika
Дата:
> Yeah, this is something we would like to have. Probably displaying the
> beginning of the string, and then an ellipsis. And you will have the
> complete content in another window. But we need to find time to work on
> this.
>
> Thanks for your request.

This would be great. But to be real, for newbie like me it would be
enough fixed string. For example: "... too big to fit" - this would
direct user to try different way to get data, if he really needs it
(most probably he doesn't and his query is just to check if everything
works as expected).

Grazvydas

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 06/01/2011 12:02, Grazvydas Valeika a écrit :

>> Yeah, this is something we would like to have. Probably displaying the
>> beginning of the string, and then an ellipsis. And you will have the
>> complete content in another window. But we need to find time to work on
>> this.
>>
>> Thanks for your request.
>>

> This would be great. But to be real, for newbie like me it would be
> enough fixed string. For example: "... too big to fit" - this would
> direct user to try different way to get data, if he really needs it
> (most probably he doesn't and his query is just to check if everything
> works as expected).

Yeah, this could be another way: displaying an icon to say it cannot be
displayed in the grid.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com