Обсуждение: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
The pgAdmin Development Team is pleased to announce the release of
pgAdmin 1.10.2, the Open Source graphical PostgreSQL administration tool
for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Solaris, now available for
download in source and a variety of binary formats from:
    http://www.pgadmin.org/download/

v1.10.2 is primarily a bug fix release, including the following changes:

* Correctly save the position of a window.
* Fix the reverse engineering of a function with default parameters.
* Fix the favorites' saving function.
* Fix a query error when changing a parameter for a database, role/user
and a function.
* Fix the display of a type with a specific typmod.
* Correctly select the server choosen with the /s command-line argument.
* Fix the call to the Slony-I 2.0 storenode function.
* Fix display of the date/time chooser.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
John Gage
Дата:
This is my opportunity to say that I do use the graphical query builder.

It would be great if it could be brought into line with (subsume the
code for) DBUML, the ArgoUML class diagramming software for databases (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbuml/
).

Seeing the relationships between tables and the tables themselves is a
tremendous convenience.

I wish I could offer to do this myself, but my C/C++ coding skills
simply aren't anywhere near good enough.

In any case, pgAdmin is one of the wonders of the world  (along with
Postgres)!

John

On Mar 14, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> The pgAdmin Development Team is pleased to announce the release of
> pgAdmin 1.10.2, the Open Source graphical PostgreSQL administration
> tool
> for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Solaris, now available for
> download in source and a variety of binary formats from:
>
>     http://www.pgadmin.org/download/
>
> v1.10.2 is primarily a bug fix release, including the following
> changes:
>
> * Correctly save the position of a window.
> * Fix the reverse engineering of a function with default parameters.
> * Fix the favorites' saving function.
> * Fix a query error when changing a parameter for a database, role/
> user
> and a function.
> * Fix the display of a type with a specific typmod.
> * Correctly select the server choosen with the /s command-line
> argument.
> * Fix the call to the Slony-I 2.0 storenode function.
> * Fix display of the date/time chooser.
>

> --
> Guillaume.
> http://www.postgresqlfr.org
> http://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 15/03/2010 09:29, John Gage a écrit :
> This is my opportunity to say that I do use the graphical query builder.
>
> It would be great if it could be brought into line with (subsume the
> code for) DBUML, the ArgoUML class diagramming software for databases
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbuml/).
>
> Seeing the relationships between tables and the tables themselves is a
> tremendous convenience.
>
> I wish I could offer to do this myself, but my C/C++ coding skills
> simply aren't anywhere near good enough.

Yes, this is something I would like to have in pgAdmin too. I don't feel
I have the skills to code such a functionnality, but it would be great
to have someone working on a patch to get that.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
John Gage
Дата:
An incremental approach is undoubtedly best.  Identifying the PK's and
FK's (not connecting them, just identifying them) in the Query Builder
might be an easy first step.

On Mar 17, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Le 15/03/2010 09:29, John Gage a écrit :
>> This is my opportunity to say that I do use the graphical query
>> builder.
>>
>> It would be great if it could be brought into line with (subsume the
>> code for) DBUML, the ArgoUML class diagramming software for databases
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbuml/).
>>
>> Seeing the relationships between tables and the tables themselves
>> is a
>> tremendous convenience.
>>
>> I wish I could offer to do this myself, but my C/C++ coding skills
>> simply aren't anywhere near good enough.
>>

> Yes, this is something I would like to have in pgAdmin too. I don't
> feel
> I have the skills to code such a functionnality, but it would be great
> to have someone working on a patch to get that.
>

> --
> Guillaume.
> http://www.postgresqlfr.org
> http://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Dale J Thompson
Дата:
I don't suppose there's any chance this build fixes the build issue pgAdmin has with 8.1.x versions
of postgresql? Version 1.10.0 builds fine under Redhat Enterprise 5, but 1.10.1 will not build due
to needing some function from the postgresql headers that was not added until a later 8.x release of
postgresql. I can be more specific if this issue has not been put forward before.

dale

On 3/14/2010 3:49 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> The pgAdmin Development Team is pleased to announce the release of
> pgAdmin 1.10.2, the Open Source graphical PostgreSQL administration tool
> for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Solaris, now available for
> download in source and a variety of binary formats from:
>
>       http://www.pgadmin.org/download/
>
> v1.10.2 is primarily a bug fix release, including the following changes:
>
> * Correctly save the position of a window.
> * Fix the reverse engineering of a function with default parameters.
> * Fix the favorites' saving function.
> * Fix a query error when changing a parameter for a database, role/user
> and a function.
> * Fix the display of a type with a specific typmod.
> * Correctly select the server choosen with the /s command-line argument.
> * Fix the call to the Slony-I 2.0 storenode function.
> * Fix display of the date/time chooser.

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 17/03/2010 15:45, Dale J Thompson a écrit :
> I don't suppose there's any chance this build fixes the build issue
> pgAdmin has with 8.1.x versions of postgresql? Version 1.10.0 builds
> fine under Redhat Enterprise 5, but 1.10.1 will not build due to needing
> some function from the postgresql headers that was not added until a
> later 8.x release of postgresql. I can be more specific if this issue
> has not been put forward before.

You should because I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:52 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> You should because I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

I sent build log yesterday:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1268719771.2229.1.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 17/03/2010 17:01, Devrim GÜNDÜZ a écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:52 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> You should because I don't have any idea what you are talking about.
>
> I sent build log yesterday:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1268719771.2229.1.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org

Oops, sorry. Didn't think they were related.

I found this:

pg_valid_server_encoding_id() is exported by 8.3's libpq, but it does
not exist in 8.2 and before.  What is evidently happening is that psql
is binding to an old copy of libpq.so.  Check your PG installation.

in a Tom Lane's mail on the same kind of issue.

Our issue comes from revision 8087
(http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/changeset/8087).

I don't see an easy way to get around this. Either we drop that code, or
we explicitely state that pgAdmin works only with recent libpq (recent
meaning here 8.3+). Dave, did I misunderstand something? what's your
point of view on this issue?

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2010/3/17 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le 17/03/2010 17:01, Devrim GÜNDÜZ a écrit :
>> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:52 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> You should because I don't have any idea what you are talking about.
>>
>> I sent build log yesterday:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1268719771.2229.1.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org
>>

> Oops, sorry. Didn't think they were related.
>
> I found this:
>
> pg_valid_server_encoding_id() is exported by 8.3's libpq, but it does
> not exist in 8.2 and before.  What is evidently happening is that psql
> is binding to an old copy of libpq.so.  Check your PG installation.
>
> in a Tom Lane's mail on the same kind of issue.
>
> Our issue comes from revision 8087
> (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/changeset/8087).
>
> I don't see an easy way to get around this. Either we drop that code, or
> we explicitely state that pgAdmin works only with recent libpq (recent
> meaning here 8.3+). Dave, did I misunderstand something? what's your
> point of view on this issue?

I don't see any reason why we should lose important functionality to
ensure a modern pgAdmin will *build* with an old PostgreSQL. If we
have to do that, it would become very difficult to know how any given
build will behave.

--
Dave Page
PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Dale J Thompson
Дата:
I apologize for assuming this was a well known problem.

If it's not feasible to adjust the build to work around this issue, I'd suggest the documentation
for pgAdmin be updated to clarify that it requires 8.3(?) or greater version of postgresql to build.
It's certainly not reasonable to assume people will be willing to remove their vendor provided and
supported versions of postgresql, but this documentation update would help people to know they need
to build a 1.10.0 version if they use Redhat 5. That's the rpm I build for my userbase and it mostly
works fine.

By the way, my users where specifically looking for the graphical query builder, which was my reason
for looking into version 1.10.x of pgAdmin.

dale

On 3/17/2010 11:33 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> 2010/3/17 Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info>:
>>>
>>> I sent build log yesterday:
>>>
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1268719771.2229.1.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org
>>>

>> Oops, sorry. Didn't think they were related.
>>
>> I found this:
>>
>> pg_valid_server_encoding_id() is exported by 8.3's libpq, but it does
>> not exist in 8.2 and before.  What is evidently happening is that psql
>> is binding to an old copy of libpq.so.  Check your PG installation.
>>
>> in a Tom Lane's mail on the same kind of issue.
>>
>> Our issue comes from revision 8087
>> (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/changeset/8087).
>>
>> I don't see an easy way to get around this. Either we drop that code, or
>> we explicitely state that pgAdmin works only with recent libpq (recent
>> meaning here 8.3+). Dave, did I misunderstand something? what's your
>> point of view on this issue?
>
> I don't see any reason why we should lose important functionality to
> ensure a modern pgAdmin will *build* with an old PostgreSQL. If we
> have to do that, it would become very difficult to know how any given
> build will behave.

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Dale J Thompson
<Dale.J.Thompson@noaa.gov> wrote:
> I apologize for assuming this was a well known problem.
>
> If it's not feasible to adjust the build to work around this issue, I'd
> suggest the documentation for pgAdmin be updated to clarify that it requires
> 8.3(?) or greater version of postgresql to build. It's certainly not
> reasonable to assume people will be willing to remove their vendor provided
> and supported versions of postgresql, but this documentation update would
> help people to know they need to build a 1.10.0 version if they use Redhat
> 5. That's the rpm I build for my userbase and it mostly works fine.

Oh, sorry - my comments were aimed at the other devs. They probably
seemed a bit harsh from your perspective.

The problem is that but restricting ourselves to support of older
versions of libpq, we either lose out on important functionality for
may years, or we have to build pgAdmin in such a way that features get
enabled or disabled based on the version of libpq in use, which leads
to an inconsistent experience that many users won't understand, and
makes it harder to debug problems that crop up.

Limiting ourselves to a modern libpq shouldn't be an issue for a
number of reasons:

- it's versioned, so updating it on a machine should not be an issue
if an older version is already installed.
- most users that want a modern pgAdmin will probably use a package
repository that offers them that and also the newer PostgreSQL.
- In the worst case scenario, users can always statically link with a
private copy of the newer version, or install into a private directory
and include the newer libpq there.

The docs were out of date though - I've fixed that now.

> By the way, my users where specifically looking for the graphical query
> builder, which was my reason for looking into version 1.10.x of pgAdmin.

It might be slightly more of a pain to build/distribute if you have
vendor packages for 8.1 installed that you do not wish to touch, but
it shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

--
Dave Page
PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Cedric Boudinet
Дата:
withPQconninfoParse (from libpq-fe.h) which has been introduced with PG 8.4.<br /><br />> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010
08:55:37+0000<br />> Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released<br />> From:
/>>On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Dale J Thompson<br />> <Dale.J.Thompson@noaa.gov> wrote:<br />> >
Iapologize for assuming this was a well known problem.<br />> ><br />> > If it's not feasible to adjust the
buildto work around this issue, I'd<br />> > suggest the documentation for pgAdmin be updated to clarify that it
requires<br/>> > 8.3(?) or greater version of postgresql to build. It's certainly not<br />> > reasonable
toassume people will be willing to remove their vendor provided<br />> > and supported versions of postgresql,
butthis documentation update would<br />> > help people to know they need to build a 1.10.0 version if they use
-my comments were aimed at the other devs. They probably<br />> seemed a bit harsh from your perspective.<br />>
outon important functionality for<br />> may years, or we have to build pgAdmin in such a way that features get<br
/>>enabled or disabled based on the version of libpq in use, which leads<br />> to an inconsistent experience
it'sversioned, so updating it on a machine should not be an issue<br />> if an older version is already
installed.<br/>> - most users that want a modern pgAdmin will probably use a package<br />> repository that
offersthem that and also the newer PostgreSQL.<br />> - In the worst case scenario, users can always statically link
witha<br />> private copy of the newer version, or install into a private directory<br />> and include the newer
theway, my users where specifically looking for the graphical query<br />> > builder, which was my reason for
lookinginto version 1.10.x of pgAdmin.<br />> <br />> It might be slightly more of a pain to build/distribute if
youhave<br />> vendor packages for 8.1 installed that you do not wish to touch, but<br />> it shouldn't be an
http://www.enterprisedb.com<br/>> PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do<br
contact.<a href="http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9712964" target="_new">Obtenez la version mobile de Messenger ici</a>

Re: pgAdmin III v1.10.2 released

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Cedric Boudinet
<cedric_boudinet@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hello
> It seems that PG minimal version may be set to 8.4.
> I tried to built with 8.3 and I have an error with PQconninfoParse (from
> libpq-fe.h) which has been introduced with PG 8.4.

Oh, yeah - that's used in SVN TRUNK (not 1.10). Will update accordingly...

Thanks.