Обсуждение: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

От
durumdara
Дата:
Hi!

In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other
properties are disabled.
I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...

It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is
automatically changed to "character variable"...

Thanks:    dd

Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

От
Marcin Stępnicki
Дата:
2009/7/3 durumdara <durumdara@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other properties
> are disabled.
> I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...
>
> It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is automatically
> changed to "character variable"...

Good point, but let me take notice that you should probably use "text"
type anyway ;-). If you don't have a very good reason for specifying a
limit, simply don't bother. There is no speed penalty in accessing
"text" fields - in fact you can even gain a few miliseconds on
insert/update, because the limit check is omitted.The same applies to
"char".

And personally I think that "text" looks nicer than "character varying" :-).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html

Regards,
Marcin

Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

От
durumdara
Дата:
Hi!<br /><br /> 2009.07.03. 12:52 keltezéssel, Marcin Stępnicki írta: <blockquote
cite="mid:179149fe0907030352td5c85fdwcb4ca8f25600df9d@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">2009/7/3 durumdara <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:durumdara@gmail.com"><durumdara@gmail.com></a>: </pre><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">Hi!

In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other properties
are disabled.
I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...

It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is automatically
Good point, but let me take notice that you should probably use "text"
type anyway ;-). If you don't have a very good reason for specifying a
limit, simply don't bother. There is no speed penalty in accessing
"text" fields - in fact you can even gain a few miliseconds on
insert/update, because the limit check is omitted.The same applies to
"char".

And personally I think that "text" looks nicer than "character varying" :-).

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html</a>

Regards,
usedare limited field lengths in DB. Ok, native apps like wrote in Delphi limits the fields in DataSets, but in web I
iftwo of databases (f. e: PGSQL and DBISAM) exchange some datas... In DBISAM the varchar is char that limited to 250
/>

Graphical sql query builder

От
Mauro Bertoli
Дата:
Hi, great work this new version of PgAdmin!
Maybe interesting can change the tipology of sql query that graphical builder can do. For example that can create
DELETE,UPDATE, INSERT INTO queries (similar to Access functionality).
Best regards,
Mauro Bertoli