Обсуждение: tutorial for starting development

tutorial for starting development

От
"sami jan"
Дата:
 Hi

I wanted to write some code in pgAdminIII, just to learn the ropes,
but I am not sure where to start. Does pgAdminIII have a how-to kind
of document for newbies to its dev environment?

I have compiled and linked the code and have a debug executable. I am
using VS.Net on WinXP

For a start, how do you edit the widgets, is there a form designer?

Thanks

Sami

Re: tutorial for starting development

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
sami jan a écrit :
> I wanted to write some code in pgAdminIII, just to learn the ropes,
> but I am not sure where to start. Does pgAdminIII have a how-to kind
> of document for newbies to its dev environment?

Not really. This link, http://www.pgadmin.org/download/source.php,
documents how to compile it. And this is the roadmap :
http://www.pgadmin.org/development/roadmap.php , and todo list :
http://www.pgadmin.org/development/todo.php .

> I have compiled and linked the code and have a debug executable. I am
> using VS.Net on WinXP
>
> For a start, how do you edit the widgets, is there a form designer?

I don't know of any form designer. You need to edit the xrc file
manually and I think you have to execute the embed-xrc.bat batch file
after your changes.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/     http://lfs.traduc.org/     http://docs.postgresqlfr.org/ -->

Re: tutorial for starting development

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> sami jan a écrit :
>> For a start, how do you edit the widgets, is there a form designer?
>>

> I don't know of any form designer. You need to edit the xrc file
> manually and I think you have to execute the embed-xrc.bat batch file
> after your changes.

I use XRCeD to hack forms. It's far from perfect, but is a lot easier
that manual hacking when you get used to its quirks. I run the CVs
version so I can just 'cvs update' every now and again to get the latest
set of bug fixes.

You still need to run embed-xrc after making any changes.

Regards, Dave

Re: tutorial for starting development

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> sami jan a écrit :
>>> For a start, how do you edit the widgets, is there a form designer?
>>>

>> I don't know of any form designer. You need to edit the xrc file
>> manually and I think you have to execute the embed-xrc.bat batch file
>> after your changes.
>
> I use XRCeD to hack forms. It's far from perfect, but is a lot easier
> that manual hacking when you get used to its quirks. I run the CVs
> version so I can just 'cvs update' every now and again to get the latest
> set of bug fixes.

Great to know. I'll try it ASAP but I wonder how it can handle our
custom widgets ?

> You still need to run embed-xrc after making any changes.

I had some problems yesterday with xrc files. I changed dlgTable.xrc,
ran embed-xrc, make, make install... and nothing. I didn't see any of my
changes. I finally found that I had to manually copy the dlgTable.xrc
file in the installation directory to get it working. If i'm correct, we
need XRC files on linux and they are embedded with the binary on the
windows platform. I wonder why "make install" didn't install my
customized copy of the dlgTable.xrc file.

FYI, I'm working on adding fill factor support.

Oh and I found a SIGSEG on the options window. I need to investigate this.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/     http://lfs.traduc.org/     http://docs.postgresqlfr.org/ -->

Re: tutorial for starting development

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Great to know. I'll try it ASAP but I wonder how it can handle our
> custom widgets ?

It depends how they are used. In some cases it bleats about them, but
usually works well enough.

>> You still need to run embed-xrc after making any changes.
>>

> I had some problems yesterday with xrc files. I changed dlgTable.xrc,
> ran embed-xrc, make, make install... and nothing. I didn't see any of my
> changes. I finally found that I had to manually copy the dlgTable.xrc
> file in the installation directory to get it working. If i'm correct, we
> need XRC files on linux and they are embedded with the binary on the
> windows platform. I wonder why "make install" didn't install my
> customized copy of the dlgTable.xrc file.

The rules are the same on Windows, Mac and *nix. Debug builds use the
XRC files, release builds use xrcDialogs.cpp. We don't even install the
xrc files with release builds any more (I wonder if that might have
confused things on your machine?)

> FYI, I'm working on adding fill factor support.

Cool - need to be quick though - I hope to go to beta in a week or so!

> Oh and I found a SIGSEG on the options window. I need to investigate this.

:-s

Regards, Dave.