Обсуждение: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

[Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
I just looked again but still don't see either a SRPM or RPM for
PGAdminIII 1.6.1

I see enough messages to get the feeling there are still a few gotchas
in the release.

I've tried several times and methods to create a RPM but keep coming up
against a wall of missing *-static libraries.

Rod
--

Re: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:01 -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I just looked again but still don't see either a SRPM or RPM for
> PGAdminIII 1.6.1

pgAdmin 1.6 is built on wxWidgets 2.7.0+. wx's version numbering is the
same as Linux: They go stable at even numbers. They released 2.8.0 last
week. However, *none* of the distros that I know has released 2.8.0
packages. I know that Fedora Extras guys are working on packaging it.
Once they package it for FC7:

* I'll grab the SRPM
* Rebuild it for FC 6 and RHEL 4
* Create pgAdmin3 package based on that RPM.

This is the reason that we don't have pgAdmin3 1.6.X RPM package around.

Re: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:01 -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> I just looked again but still don't see either a SRPM or RPM for
>> PGAdminIII 1.6.1
>
> pgAdmin 1.6 is built on wxWidgets 2.7.0+. wx's version numbering is the
> same as Linux: They go stable at even numbers. They released 2.8.0 last
> week. However, *none* of the distros that I know has released 2.8.0
> packages. I know that Fedora Extras guys are working on packaging it.
> Once they package it for FC7:
>
> * I'll grab the SRPM
> * Rebuild it for FC 6 and RHEL 4
> * Create pgAdmin3 package based on that RPM.
>
> This is the reason that we don't have pgAdmin3 1.6.X RPM package around.

So why not statically link it?

The code has worked just fine for months - there's no technical reason
why RPMs cannot be built.

Regards, Dave

Re: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 08:34 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> So why not statically link it?
>
> The code has worked just fine for months - there's no technical reason
> why RPMs cannot be built.

Stable wxWidgets was just released -- this is the technical reason that
we don't have 1.6.X RPMS. As we talked before, pgAdmin 1.6 is built on a
non-stable version of wx until wx 2.8.0 was released.

Apart from that, people will want to build pgadmin from SRPM. In that
case, they will still need binary packages for wxWidgets.

Basically: I don't want to release 1.6.X RPMs that are built against
non-rpm version of wx.

But I can say that 2.8.0 RPM is near --so pgadmin RPM is. I'm following
the FC extras lists closely for that...

Re: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 08:34 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> So why not statically link it?
>>
>> The code has worked just fine for months - there's no technical reason
>> why RPMs cannot be built.
>
> Stable wxWidgets was just released -- this is the technical reason that
> we don't have 1.6.X RPMS. As we talked before, pgAdmin 1.6 is built on a
> non-stable version of wx until wx 2.8.0 was released.

The vast majority of releases of pgAdmin have relied on non-stable
releases of wxWidgets - in fact, I think the *only* series that did
actually use the stable releases was 1.4. With 1.0 we had our own fork
of wxWidgets, and for 1.2 we recommended 2.5.3.

Anyway, I'll leave it in your expert hands. Whenever I use an RPM based
linux distro I seem to end up with an irrepairably corrupted RPM
database anyway, so I try to stay clear of them altogether now :-p

Regards, Dave.

Re: [Q] (S)RPM for 1.6.1

От
Marian POPESCU
Дата:
Fedora 7 DEV packages are in the DEV repository !
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/wxGTK-2.8.0-2.8.0.1.3.fc7.src.rpm

Can't wait for PgAdmin3 1.6.1 on Fedora Core !!! ;-)

Regards,
Marian