Обсуждение: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
I meant to ask this question weeks ago but is v1.6's handling of byteas the same
as v1.4.3's?  With v1.4.3. I noticed that when I open tables with byteas, it
either takes a "very long time " or the client hangs.  I think I asked this
before but isn't there a way to "handle" (i.e. ignore?) bytea data when editing
tables since as a far as I can think, such a data type would not be entered
manually anyway?

To work on my tables with this type, I've been using a view of that type with
everything except the bytea field so I can at least see the data but updating is
a pain because I have use the SQL dialog and do things manually.  I'm a little
out of touch with what PG supports at this point but are updatable views an
option?  If so does 1.6 support it?

I'll leave it to you good people to tell me what is the best way to proceed  :)

BTW, this particular cluster is running PG v8.0.3 and I probably will be going
to v8.1.5 once I get some of this data entry done.

Thanks in advance.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Keith C. Perry wrote:
> I meant to ask this question weeks ago but is v1.6's handling of byteas the same
> as v1.4.3's?  With v1.4.3. I noticed that when I open tables with byteas, it
> either takes a "very long time " or the client hangs.  I think I asked this
> before but isn't there a way to "handle" (i.e. ignore?) bytea data when editing
> tables since as a far as I can think, such a data type would not be entered
> manually anyway?
>
> To work on my tables with this type, I've been using a view of that type with
> everything except the bytea field so I can at least see the data but updating is
> a pain because I have use the SQL dialog and do things manually.  I'm a little
> out of touch with what PG supports at this point but are updatable views an
> option?  If so does 1.6 support it?
>
> I'll leave it to you good people to tell me what is the best way to proceed  :)

Hi Keith,

I vaguely remember this issue now that you mention it, but it has
obviously slipped through the net :-(.

I've now committed a change that prevents the data being displayed in
the grid (instead displaying "<Binary data>"), and makes the cell
read-only. It will still select the data from the database though so if
your bytea's are large and on the end of a slow network this fix won't
help much unfortunately, but it should prevent any hangs or editting
issues. Preventing the select will take more effort than I'd like at
this stage of the release cycle.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
> > I meant to ask this question weeks ago but is v1.6's handling of byteas the
> same
> > as v1.4.3's?  With v1.4.3. I noticed that when I open tables with byteas,
> it
> > either takes a "very long time " or the client hangs.  I think I asked
> this
> > before but isn't there a way to "handle" (i.e. ignore?) bytea data when
> editing
> > tables since as a far as I can think, such a data type would not be
> entered
> > manually anyway?
> >
> > To work on my tables with this type, I've been using a view of that type
> with
> > everything except the bytea field so I can at least see the data but
> updating is
> > a pain because I have use the SQL dialog and do things manually.  I'm a
> little
> > out of touch with what PG supports at this point but are updatable views
> an
> > option?  If so does 1.6 support it?
> >
> > I'll leave it to you good people to tell me what is the best way to proceed
>  :)
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> I vaguely remember this issue now that you mention it, but it has
> obviously slipped through the net :-(.
>
> I've now committed a change that prevents the data being displayed in
> the grid (instead displaying "<Binary data>"), and makes the cell
> read-only. It will still select the data from the database though so if
> your bytea's are large and on the end of a slow network this fix won't
> help much unfortunately, but it should prevent any hangs or editting
> issues. Preventing the select will take more effort than I'd like at
> this stage of the release cycle.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Ahhh, ok- wow.  I wasn't even expecting anything for 1.6.0.  I thought I had
missed something  :)  How do I get what you commited?

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com
______________________________________
This email account is being hosted by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Keith C. Perry wrote:

> Ahhh, ok- wow.  I wasn't even expecting anything for 1.6.0.

Well, we aim to please :-)
> I thought I had
> missed something  :)  How do I get what you commited?

If you're on Windows I can mail you a binary tomorrow. If you're on OSX,
I can mail one shortly. Failing that, you'd need to checkout the code
from SVN and build it yourself.

http://www.pgadmin.org/development/svn.php

Regards, Dave

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
>
> > Ahhh, ok- wow.  I wasn't even expecting anything for 1.6.0.
>
> Well, we aim to please :-)
>
>  > I thought I had
> > missed something  :)  How do I get what you commited?
>
> If you're on Windows I can mail you a binary tomorrow. If you're on OSX,
> I can mail one shortly. Failing that, you'd need to checkout the code
> from SVN and build it yourself.
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/development/svn.php
>

> Regards, Dave

**windows** stop cursing at me  *laff*  I'm on Slackware but don't sweat it.
I'll wait for the next RC.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com
______________________________________
This email account is being hosted by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Keith C. Perry wrote:
> Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:
>
>> Keith C. Perry wrote:
>>
>>> Ahhh, ok- wow.  I wasn't even expecting anything for 1.6.0.
>> Well, we aim to please :-)
>>
>>  > I thought I had
>>> missed something  :)  How do I get what you commited?
>> If you're on Windows I can mail you a binary tomorrow. If you're on OSX,
>> I can mail one shortly. Failing that, you'd need to checkout the code
>> from SVN and build it yourself.
>>
>> http://www.pgadmin.org/development/svn.php
>>

>> Regards, Dave
>>

> **windows** stop cursing at me  *laff*  I'm on Slackware but don't sweat it.
> I'll wait for the next RC.

:-) There's a nightly Slackware build available at
http://developer.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/slackware/. It should run
in 3 or 4 hours.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
> > Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:

> >> Well, we aim to please :-)
> >>
> >>  > I thought I had
> >> If you're on Windows I can mail you a binary tomorrow. If you're on OSX,
> >> I can mail one shortly. Failing that, you'd need to checkout the code
> >> from SVN and build it yourself.
> >>
> >> http://www.pgadmin.org/development/svn.php
> >>

> >> Regards, Dave
> >>

> > **windows** stop cursing at me  *laff*  I'm on Slackware but don't sweat
> it.
> > I'll wait for the next RC.
>
> :-) There's a nightly Slackware build available at
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/slackware/. It should run
> in 3 or 4 hours.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Da heck, thats just too efficient.  Quit it!  LOL  Thanks man- I should be able
to try that out this week.  I'll try to get to it sooner than later.