Обсуждение: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi developers!

I am testing pgAdmin III Beta 3 (Oct 12 2006, re: 5475) on Windows XP
(German, latest patch level).

In the SQL dialogue wndow, when I move the output pane so it becomes a
window of its own and then try to mark text  (or anything) with the
mouse (point and drag), pgAdmin crashes instantly.
Further testing has shown that clicking in the window is enough to crash
pgAdmin.
Reproducible every time.

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
"Dave Page"

This is a complex one :-(. When the frames get floated, they are turned
into wxFloatingPane objects by the display manager, thus many of the
objects in their original frmQuery class are no longer accessible. In
this case, the crash happens when it tries to update the menus on the
main query form. I've modified the code to stop it trying if the 'this'
pointer is of type wxFloatingPane (it doesn't make sense to have the
buttons/menus reflecting the status of the floating window anyway), and
added a ctrl-c shortcut to the edit grid control so data can be copied
out when it's floating.

As there are potentially other bugs caused by this mod, would you mind
if I mailed you an updated .exe for testing?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi Dave!

I am not familiar with C++, so I am no help at the source code level.
But I will test the piece if you send it over.

Regards
Erwin

dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:

> [...]

"Raymond O'Donnell"
Дата:
On 16 Oct 2006 at 14:43, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:

> But I will test the piece if you send it over.

I'd also be happy to try it out.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:
> This is a complex one :-(. When the frames get floated, they are turned
> into wxFloatingPane objects by the display manager, thus many of the
> objects in their original frmQuery class are no longer accessible. In
> this case, the crash happens when it tries to update the menus on the
> main query form. I've modified the code to stop it trying if the 'this'
> pointer is of type wxFloatingPane (it doesn't make sense to have the
> buttons/menus reflecting the status of the floating window anyway), and
> added a ctrl-c shortcut to the edit grid control so data can be copied
> out when it's floating.
>
> As there are potentially other bugs caused by this mod, would you mind
> if I mailed you an updated .exe for testing?
>
> Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave!

Results from the tests with the new build you mailed me:   pgAdmin III Beta 3 (Oct 12 2006, rev: 5475:5496)

The reported crashes are gone, but I found a new way to crash it. I
found new bugs, present in original beta3 as well (posted separately).
And not all of the reported bugs are gone. Good news first:

- Boolean values: fixed.- Edit properties of function with out parameters and line breaks in
comment: fixed.- Refreshing type or index in object browser: fixed.
 - Find & Replace, focus on search text: fixed
But: Deault setting for "Direction" seems to be "Backwards". "Forwards"
should be more obvious? <enter> moves the focus to the next element. But that's what <tab>
does already. <enter> should trigger "Find", (not the potentially
harmful "Replace").Actually, I would much prefer an option to have the whole document
searched (not just forwards or backwards), but I guess that's more like
a feature request, really.
 - Crash with floating output pane: fixed
Clicking, dragging, marking and copying do not trigger a crash any more.
Copying works fine, too.
!BUT! Some hours into testing I found a new way crash it. Shuffling with
output pane and scratch pane quickly crashes pgAdmin.
It happens at the moment when I try to dock the output pane or the
scratch pane. Randomly after a couple of tries. Especially when I drag
one over the other (not floating). It "helps" to do it quickly.
To cheer you up: the bug is present in original beta3, too. You did not
introduce it with the fix. :)
 - Weird behaviour of database bar: unchanged
Still unusable for me. I cannot chose from the actual databases on the
chosen server, because they are not displayed.
Also, there is no way to pick the user with which to connect.
Help is missing.
Mouse wheel triggers OK.
Maybe my special setup (port forwarded to remote database server)
contributes to the problems. Is this feature working for anyone?

-!! Duplicated schema-prefix: STILL BROKEN
The fix you uploaded, is it in the version I am testing? I still get
SQL-scripts like:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_schema.my_func(integer) RETURNS SETOF my_schema."my_schema.my_type" AS         -- NOTE
the

malformed return type
(...)

Hope that helps.
Regards
Erwin Brandstetter

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
"Dave Page"

Fix in SVN.

>   <enter> moves the focus to the next element. But that's what <tab>
> does already. <enter> should trigger "Find", (not the potentially
> harmful "Replace").

That appears to be a quirk of wxWidgets (or something we're doing with
it fairly globally) - all the dialogues behave like that.

>  Actually, I would much prefer an option to have the whole document
> searched (not just forwards or backwards), but I guess that's
> more like
> a feature request, really.

Search forwards, from the top?

> !BUT! Some hours into testing I found a new way crash it.
> Shuffling with
> output pane and scratch pane quickly crashes pgAdmin.
> It happens at the moment when I try to dock the output pane or the
> scratch pane. Randomly after a couple of tries. Especially
> when I drag
> one over the other (not floating). It "helps" to do it quickly.
> To cheer you up: the bug is present in original beta3, too.
> You did not
> introduce it with the fix. :)

This is a wxWidgets bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1575571&group_i
d=9863&atid=109863

>   - Weird behaviour of database bar: unchanged
> Still unusable for me. I cannot chose from the actual
> databases on the
> chosen server, because they are not displayed.

I cannot reproduce this. Anyone else?

> Also, there is no way to pick the user with which to connect.

No. It will use the username/password you specified when you registered
the server in the main browser.

> Help is missing.

Fixed.

> Mouse wheel triggers OK.

I think that's related to the navigation-by-return issue above - it
scrolls through the items in the list, then at the end moves onto the
next control. I'll have to look into that some more.

> Maybe my special setup (port forwarded to remote database server)
> contributes to the problems. Is this feature working for anyone?
>
> -!! Duplicated schema-prefix: STILL BROKEN
> The fix you uploaded, is it in the version I am testing? I still get
> SQL-scripts like:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_schema.my_func(integer)
>   RETURNS SETOF my_schema."my_schema.my_type" AS         -- NOTE the
> malformed return type
> (...)

I missed a bit. Fixed in SVN.

Regards, Dave

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:

(...)
>>   <enter> moves the focus to the next element. But that's what <tab>
>> does already. <enter> should trigger "Find", (not the potentially
>> harmful "Replace").
>>

> That appears to be a quirk of wxWidgets (or something we're doing with
> it fairly globally) - all the dialogues behave like that.

Actually, many dialogues don't. For instance, properties dialogue:
<enter> triggers OK (except when focus is in comment).
I would consider it quite an improvement, if I could do quick searches
without having to use the mouse (or some cumbersome key combination).

>>  Actually, I would much prefer an option to have the whole document
>> searched (not just forwards or backwards), but I guess that's
>> more like
>> a feature request, really.
>>

> Search forwards, from the top?

Or even better: start from current position and continue from top till
cycle is complete. Like Firefox or vim.

(...)
>>   - Weird behaviour of database bar: unchanged
>> Still unusable for me. I cannot chose from the actual
>> databases on the
>> chosen server, because they are not displayed.
>>

> I cannot reproduce this. Anyone else?

Maybe it is due to my setup then? (SSH connection with port forward to
remote server)?

>> Also, there is no way to pick the user with which to connect.
>>

> No. It will use the username/password you specified when you registered
> the server in the main browser.

I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with different
usernames to the same server. There is no way to tell one from the other
in the dialogue.

(...)
>> Mouse wheel triggers OK.
>>

> I think that's related to the navigation-by-return issue above - it
> scrolls through the items in the list, then at the end moves onto the
> next control. I'll have to look into that some more.

Turning the wheel not only moves the focus the next control, it also
triggers OK.

(...)

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
"Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha"
Дата:
In beta 2 it crashes too.

2006/10/15, Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter@falter.at>:
> Hi developers!
>
> I am testing pgAdmin III Beta 3 (Oct 12 2006, re: 5475) on Windows XP
> (German, latest patch level).
>
> In the SQL dialogue wndow, when I move the output pane so it becomes a
> window of its own and then try to mark text  (or anything) with the
> mouse (point and drag), pgAdmin crashes instantly.
> Further testing has shown that clicking in the window is enough to crash
> pgAdmin.
> Reproducible every time.
>

> Regards
> Erwin Brandstetter

-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Atenciosamente(Sincerely)                       Ezequias Rodrigues da
Rocha=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A pior das democracias ainda é melhor do que a melhor das ditaduras
The worst of democracies is still better than the better of dictatorshipshttp://ezequiasrocha.blogspot.com/

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
brandstetter@falter.at wrote:

>>> Also, there is no way to pick the user with which to connect.
>>>

>> No. It will use the username/password you specified when you registered
>> the server in the main browser.
>>

> I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with different
> usernames to the same server. There is no way to tell one from the
> other in the dialogue.

Also, the registered connections ask for "maintainance DB". Most
queries, however, will be run against other DBs in the cluster.
I quote your help file:

> The maintenance DB field is used to specify the initial database that
> pgAdmin connects to, and that will be expected to have the pgAgent
> <pgagent.html> schema and adminpack <extend.html> objects installed
> (both optional). On PostgreSQL 8.1 and above, the maintenance DB is
> normally called 'postgres', and on earlier versions 'template1' is
> often used, though it is preferrable to create a 'postgres' database
> for this purpose to avoid cluttering the template database.

If I can only chose among registered connections to maintaeinance DBs,
the whole "database bar" is basically useless.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Query tool database selection (was: Beta 3 crashing reproducably)

От
"Dave Page"

You can select from any database on any registered connection. At least
I can - Magnus is more familiar with that code than I am - perhaps he
has an idea why you can't?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Dave Page
Дата:
CourierNew">dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:<br /> ><br /> > That appears to be a quirk of wxWidgets (or something
manydialogues don't. For instance, properties dialogue:<br /> <enter> triggers OK (except when focus is in
comment).<br/> I would consider it quite an improvement, if I could do quick searches<br /> without having to use the
face="Monaco,Courier New">The all seem to do it for me – properties dialogues included. It doesn’t happen in 1.4, or
CourierNew"><br /> I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with different<br /> usernames to the same
style="font-size:12.0px"><fontface="Monaco, Courier New">I’ll see if I can add the username to the combo box. BTW; how
areyou opening the query tool – from the browser, or from the command line? On the command line the dialogue works
slightlydifferently as it doesn’t have the browser to query for the database names etc. iirc, Magnus made the combos
writeablein command line startup mode so you can manually type in the database name.<br
issueabove - it<br /> > scrolls through the items in the list, then at the end moves onto the<br /> > next
face="Monaco,Courier New">Yes. More soon... I only have my Mac whilst I’m away so cannot test most of these at the

Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:

> On 17/10/06 15:23, "Erwin Brandstetter" <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
> (...)
>
>     I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with different
>     usernames to the same server. There is no way to tell one from the
>     other
>     in the dialogue.
>
> I’ll see if I can add the username to the combo box. BTW; how are you
> opening the query tool – from the browser, or from the command line?
> On the command line the dialogue works slightly differently as it
> doesn’t have the browser to query for the database names etc. iirc,
> Magnus made the combos writeable in command line startup mode so you
> can manually type in the database name.

Not sure, what the "command line" would be?
I am using the "Database bar" from the SQL dialogue window, which I open
with a click on the icon with the pencil in the tool bar of the main window.

To be precise, not only the "maintainance DB" is being displayed.
In my case I have a DB cluster with 3 databases: "postgres" (=
maintainance DB), "phpsession" and "event" (besides template0 and
template1).
After I have picked my "Server" I can chose from "postgres",
"phpsession" and "template1". But "event" (being the main database) is
not in the list.

Regards
Erwin

Database bar (was: Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably)

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
brandstetter@falter.at wrote:
> dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:
>> On 17/10/06 15:23, "Erwin Brandstetter" <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>> (...)
>>     I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with
>> different  usernames to the same server.
>>     There is no way to tell one from the other in the dialogue.
>>
>> I’ll see if I can add the username to the combo box. BTW; how are you
>> opening the query tool – from the browser, or from the command line?
>> On the command line the dialogue works slightly differently as it
>> doesn’t have the browser to query for the database names etc. iirc,
>> Magnus made the combos writeable in command line startup mode so you
>> can manually type in the database name.
>
> I am using the "Database bar" from the SQL dialogue window, which I
> open with a click on the icon with the pencil in the tool bar of the
> main window.
>
> To be precise, not only the "maintainance DB" is being displayed.
> In my case I have a DB cluster with 3 databases: "postgres" (=
> maintainance DB), "phpsession" and "event" (besides template0 and
> template1).
> After I have picked my "Server" I can chose from "postgres",
> "phpsession" and "template1". But "event" (being the main database) is
> not in the list.

After further testing I could narrow down the cause.
When I try to connect to another database on the same host (same
IP-address), then a database of the _same name_ as the one of the
current connection is not listed and cannot be chosen.
Concerns connections on different port or with different login. This
happens to be the one situation where the feature would be most useful
(to me).
Tested with plain TCP/IP connection to a remote server as well as with
SSH-connection and portforwarding.
Contrary to initial suspicions, maintainance DB seems to be unrelated.

The other aforementioned problems still exist in rev. 5508:5517 (but are
less important IMO).

Regards
Erwin

Re: Database bar (was: Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably)

От
"Dave Page"

Yep, confirmed and fixed in SVN.

Thanks, Dave.