Обсуждение: Hide databases

Hide databases

От
"Uwe Dalluege"
Дата:
Hi,

is it possible to hide the databases where I am not the owner?

In our university we have many postgresql user.
Each user has his own database.
When I start pgAdmin all databases are displayed.
Is there a button to avoid showing these databases?

Best regards,

Uwe Dalluege

Hochschule fuer Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg
- University of Applied Sciences -
Fachbereich Geomatik
Rechenzentrum
Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Dalluege   :-)
Hebebrandstr. 1
22297 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 40 42875 - 5335 oder 5353 oder 5313
Fax:  +49 40 42875 - 5409
E-Mail: mailto:uwe.dalluege@rzcn.haw-hamburg.de

Re: Hide databases

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Uwe Dalluege wrote:

>Hi,
>
>is it possible to hide the databases where I am not the owner?

No, not currently.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Hide databases

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Uwe Dalluege wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to hide the databases where I am not the owner?
>
> In our university we have many postgresql user.
> Each user has his own database.
> When I start pgAdmin all databases are displayed.
> Is there a button to avoid showing these databases?

Ok,
Dave and me have been discussing a little about this request, and we'll
probably implement a configurable SQL restriction for that in 1.5/1.6.
Your requirement seems typical for universities, let's declare this as
my contribution to the Deutsches Bildungssystem!

Greetings to the Geomatikum, where I spent quite some sleepy mornings in
lectures, I remember...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Hide databases

От
"Uwe Dalluege"
Дата:
Andreas and Dave,

thank you very much for your intent
to implement a configurable SQL restriction.
I think, the "Deutsche Bildungswesen"
would be delighted! :-) (and so I)

We have about 300 students working with
PostgreSQL so you can imagine the little confusion
seeing 300 databases.

We tried to use ONE database with 300 schemata
(one student, one schema)
but this was the same problem :-(

Best regards,

Uwe

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Ok,
> Dave and me have been discussing a little about this request, and we'll
> probably implement a configurable SQL restriction for that in 1.5/1.6.
> Your requirement seems typical for universities, let's declare this as
> my contribution to the Deutsches Bildungssystem!
>
> Greetings to the Geomatikum, where I spent quite some sleepy mornings in
> lectures, I remember...
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> Uwe Dalluege wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to hide the databases where I am not the owner?
> >
> > In our university we have many postgresql user.
> > Each user has his own database.
> > When I start pgAdmin all databases are displayed.
> > Is there a button to avoid showing these databases?

Re: Hide databases

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Uwe Dalluege wrote:
> Andreas and Dave,
>
> thank you very much for your intent
> to implement a configurable SQL restriction.
> I think, the "Deutsche Bildungswesen"
> would be delighted! :-) (and so I)
>
> We have about 300 students working with
> PostgreSQL so you can imagine the little confusion
> seeing 300 databases.
>
> We tried to use ONE database with 300 schemata
> (one student, one schema)
> but this was the same problem :-(

It's on the TODO list now; I'll try to implement it as soon as V1.4 is out.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Hide databases

От
"Ryan Proud"
Дата:
<pre style="margin: 0em 0em 0em 80px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uwe Dalluege wrote:<br

Each user has his own database.<br />When I start pgAdmin all databases are displayed.<br />Is there a button to avoid
sans-serif">
beendiscussing a little about this request, and we'll </tt><tt>probably implement a configurable SQL restriction for
/>

Re: Hide databases

От
"Dave Page"

is it possible to hide the databases where I am not the owner?

In our university we have many postgresql user.
Each user has his own database.
When I start pgAdmin all databases are displayed.
Is there a button to avoid showing these databases?

Ok,
Dave and me have been discussing a little about this request, and we'll probably implement a configurable SQL restriction for that in 1.5/1.6. Your requirement seems typical for universities, let's declare this as my contribution to the Deutsches Bildungssystem! Greetings to the Geomatikum, where I spent quite some sleepy mornings in lectures, I remember... Regards,
Andreas

Has there been any update on this?

Yes - you can hide databases and schemas in 1.6 (currently in beta). You reminded me so I've added the following note to the docs (the server properties page to be exact):

The DB restriction field allows you to enter an SQL restriction that will be used against the pg_database table to limit the databases that you see. For example, you might enter: datname IN ('live_db', 'test_db') so that only live_db and test_db are shown in the pgAdmin browser. Note that you can also limit the schemas shown in the database from the Database properties dialogue by entering a restriction against pg_namespace

Regards, Dave.