Обсуждение: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com
Дата:
RC-1 consistantly locks up in the Edit Data window when viewing a table or
view containing a long text field with embeded newlines.

Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com wrote:
> RC-1 consistantly locks up in the Edit Data window when viewing a table or
> view containing a long text field with embeded newlines.

Can you provide an example?
Please don't forget to note the OS version you used...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Please dont mail privately, use the list!

Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com wrote:
> Ok.. after further investigation, it looks like it doesn't actually hang
> up.  It just takes a _long_ time to format and display the view.  The text
> fields are around 10k or so each.  Not the usual size, granted, but
> perhaps there's a more graceful way to handle them.  Truncation, maybe?

Very bad idea. If pgAdmin offers to edit the column at all, the field
content must be complete. Anything else would lead to many bad surprises.

pgAdmin isn't meant to be a perfect editing tool in any situation; 10k
is obviously beyond the inline editing capacities. Actually, I don't
know *any* general purpose tool for that.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com
Дата:
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote on 11/19/2004 10:07:58 AM:

> Very bad idea. If pgAdmin offers to edit the column at all, the field
> content must be complete. Anything else would lead to many bad
surprises.

Point taken.  Still, going unresponsive for minutes is not a good trait
for any interactive software.

How about a size limit (configurable?) beyond which pgAdmin displays a
particular cell read-only, with truncated text  or a warning in place of
the text.  This would protect the user who unknowingly displays a table
entry with a large text field, while preserving the editing integrity.

Mike

Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote on 11/19/2004 10:07:58 AM:
>

>>Very bad idea. If pgAdmin offers to edit the column at all, the field
>>content must be complete. Anything else would lead to many bad
>
> surprises.
>
> Point taken.  Still, going unresponsive for minutes is not a good trait
> for any interactive software.
>
> How about a size limit (configurable?) beyond which pgAdmin displays a
> particular cell read-only, with truncated text  or a warning in place of
> the text.

To detect such a column, it must have been retrieved, which wouldn't
help for your problem...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

От
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com
Дата:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote on 11/19/2004 10:07:58
AM:

> To detect such a column, it must have been retrieved, which wouldn't
> help for your problem...

Intersting.  Using psql the column can be retrieved and displayed very
quickly, so I assumed the issue was in the formatting and display rather
than retrieval.  I'm curious why the transfer would be orders of magnitude
slower in pgAdmin.

Mike