Обсуждение: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Bjørn T Johansen
Дата:
I have just installed pgAdmin and it looks quite good, but there is one little thing
that is annoying.

When showing the results from a select in the grid, the width of the columns is
always way too small. Is there anyway around this or do I have to resize every column
everytime?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen

btj@havleik.no
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> I have just installed pgAdmin and it looks quite good, but there is one
> little thing that is annoying.
>
> When showing the results from a select in the grid, the width of the
> columns is always way too small. Is there anyway around this or do I
> have to resize every column everytime?

A double click on the column header will resize the column. I don't see
a reasonable way to remember your preferred sizes (we're not M$ Access,
which stores this in table metadata)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Bjørn T Johansen
Дата:
It's not a question of being Access but what would have been nice is if the column
could at least have the same width as the largest string in that column....

BTJ

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
>
>> I have just installed pgAdmin and it looks quite good, but there is
>> one little thing that is annoying.
>>
>> When showing the results from a select in the grid, the width of the
>> columns is always way too small. Is there anyway around this or do I
>> have to resize every column everytime?
>

> A double click on the column header will resize the column. I don't see
> a reasonable way to remember your preferred sizes (we're not M$ Access,
> which stores this in table metadata)
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
"Diego A. Gil"
Andreas:

Can't we get a estimated column size from column metadata ?. That will
not be a "preferred" size but maybe will make grid more readable "out of
the box".

Regards,
Diego.

El mié, 10-11-2004 a las 15:31, Andreas Pflug escribió:
> Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > I have just installed pgAdmin and it looks quite good, but there is one
> > little thing that is annoying.
> >
> > When showing the results from a select in the grid, the width of the
> > columns is always way too small. Is there anyway around this or do I
> > have to resize every column everytime?
>
> A double click on the column header will resize the column. I don't see
> a reasonable way to remember your preferred sizes (we're not M$ Access,
> which stores this in table metadata)
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> It's not a question of being Access but what would have been nice is if
> the column could at least have the same width as the largest string in
> that column....

Certainly not, this would leave just a single column displayed in many
cases.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Bjørn T Johansen
Дата:
Maybe it could have been an option, it would very often make the grid more viewable...

BTJ

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
>
>> It's not a question of being Access but what would have been nice is
>> if the column could at least have the same width as the largest string
>> in that column....
>

> Certainly not, this would leave just a single column displayed in many
> cases.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Diego A. Gil wrote:
> Andreas:
>
> Can't we get a estimated column size from column metadata ?.

Not too helpful in many cases I'm afraid. The text type is widely used....

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Diego A. Gil wrote:
>
>> Andreas:
>>
>> Can't we get a estimated column size from column metadata ?.
>

> Not too helpful in many cases I'm afraid. The text type is widely used....

What many other client tools of this type have is a "max column display
size" setting. Often with a default of something like 30 chars. If the
column size is less than this then use the column size otherwise use the
maximum. This seems to work well for most data and would still be
reasonable for text columns.

Cheers,
Gary.