Обсуждение: Older version?

Older version?

От
Andy Lewis
Дата:
Hello All,

I'm running an older version 7.0 of PostgreSQL and am looking for the
compatible version of PgAdmin.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Re: Older version?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Samedi 20 Avril 2002 19:51, Andy Lewis a écrit :
> I'm running an older version 7.0 of PostgreSQL and am looking for the
> compatible version of PgAdmin.
> Can anyone help me out?
> Thanks in advance,

Dear Andrew,

pgAdmin1 can be downloaded from CVS. You will need to compile it with Visual
Basic and register OCX components manually. If you are not a professional
programmer, you have 1% chances of achieving a manual installation.

Also, it is recommended to use pgAdmin2 / PostgreSQL 7.1.2
- PostgreSQL 7.1.2 provides many bug-fixes and new features,
- pgAdmin2 has many improvements (function modification, view modification,
etc, a better GUI, many bug fixes..).
- pgAdmin1 and PostgreSQL 7.0 are outdated and not supported by our team. We
wron't be able to help you in case of problem. Sorry.

By far, it is recommended to upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.2.1 / pgAdmin2. This
solution provides a much more stable system.

Here are the required steps to migrate database 'foo' :

1) Dump your database
Let's suppose your database name is "foo"
We will backup it to filename : filename.sql

root@localhost: pg_dump -u foo > filename.sql

View filename.sql to be sure all your data is there.
Backup your files on a separe media/computer/CDROM.

Don't upgrade unless you are sure all databases are dumped with backups.

2) Upgrade PostgreSQL
It is recommanded to use PostgreSQL latest RPMs.

For Mandrake, my list of installed RPMs is as follows:
libecpg3-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
libpgperl-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
libpgsql2-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
libpgsqlodbc0-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
libpgtcl2-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-contrib-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-devel-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-docs-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-jdbc-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-python-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-server-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-tcl-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-test-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
postgresql-tk-7.2.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

In case of RedHat, the reuired packages can be downloaded freely from :
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/PByName.html
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/LByName.html

Do not buy the "RedHat database system", this is a marketing solution for
fools. It wron't provide you with anything more than http://www.rpmfind.net.

Enter as root :
rpm -Uvh packages_name1 package_name2 [..] package_nameN

All packages should be listed and upgraded at once.

3) Enable ODBC server-side
See my last mail:
> enable TPCIP_socket in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
> list your client IP in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
> create user foo with administrative rights
restart postgresql

4) Download and install pgAdmin2 from http://pgadmin2.postgresql.org

Connect to database template1 using user foo
Re-create an empty database "foo" (replace "foo" with your database name).

5) Upload data in your database

Connect as user postgres
#root@localhost>su -postgres

Upload data using pgsql
#postgres@localhost>psql bar < filename.sql

Done!

Do not hesitate to come back on our list for more information.
Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE

Re: Older version?

От
Andy Lewis
Дата:
Thanks, the upgrade of all packages is in the plans!

Andy

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> [...]
> > create user foo with administrative rights
> restart postgresql
>
> 4) Download and install pgAdmin2 from http://pgadmin2.postgresql.org
>
> Connect to database template1 using user foo
> Re-create an empty database "foo" (replace "foo" with your database name).
>
> 5) Upload data in your database
>
> Connect as user postgres
> #root@localhost>su -postgres
>
> Upload data using pgsql
> #postgres@localhost>psql bar < filename.sql
>
> Done!
>
> Do not hesitate to come back on our list for more information.
> Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE

>        -=-=-=- Jumbo Classifieds -=-=-=-
> -= View 1000's of jobs updated around the clock! =-
>        -= http://JumboClassifieds.com =-
> Looking for Discounted PC Hardware or Software? Jumbo Classifieds now
> has more than 75,000+ computer related items in our Online Super Store.

Re: Older version?

От
Dave Page

Actually, the original downloads are available at
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgadmin, which is an updated version of
the old www.greatbridge.org site (Jean-Michel, your old login should still
work). There are moves afoot to encourage use of the site again for other
PostgreSQL projects, but you know how quickly the PR stuff happens around
here :-)

Please note though, as Jean-Michel said, pgAdmin I is NOT supported any
more, and if at all possible an upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.2.1 + pgAdmin II is
by far the best idea.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [JumboClassifieds]: RE: Older version?

От
Andy Lewis
Дата:
Thanks Dave, I was able to find and install the old version from the site
mentioned below.

Does the older version support transactions? How about the new version,
does it support transactions?

Andy

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: Older version?

От
Dave Page

No, you can't rollback creation or modification of objects (actually, you
can to an extent if you use Revision Control -
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=13), but if you are writing
scripts and running them in the GUI, then you can use transactions in the
same way as you would in psql.

Regards, Dave.