Обсуждение: App Icons

App Icons

От
Marek Černocký
Дата:
pgAdmin's icons have low quality and are not fully ready for hi-dpi
monitors. Icon for Linux app is only low res and has pure quality (see
attachment screenshot.png). Icon for Windows app is probably generated
from a jpeg and so it has some artefacts (see attachment zoomed.png).

I generated new app icons set (see attachment icons.zip):
Windows icon - it's clean and has 256px variant
OS X icon - it has added 1024px variant
Linux icons - new set with various sizes inc. scalable variant

Regards
Marek Černocký

Вложения

Re: App Icons

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

pgAdmin's icons have low quality and are not fully ready for hi-dpi
monitors. Icon for Linux app is only low res and has pure quality (see
attachment screenshot.png). Icon for Windows app is probably generated
from a jpeg and so it has some artefacts (see attachment zoomed.png).

I generated new app icons set (see attachment icons.zip):
Windows icon - it's clean and has 256px variant
OS X icon - it has added 1024px variant
Linux icons - new set with various sizes inc. scalable variant

Cool, thanks. I've updated all the existing icons, and added the new sized PNGs to the include/images directory alongside the rest.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: App Icons

От
Marek Černocký
Дата:
Dave Page píše v Po 15. 12. 2014 v 16:39 +0000:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Marek Černocký <marek@manet.cz>
> wrote:
>         pgAdmin's icons have low quality and are not fully ready for
>         hi-dpi
>         monitors. Icon for Linux app is only low res and has pure
>         quality (see
>         attachment screenshot.png). Icon for Windows app is probably
>         generated
>         from a jpeg and so it has some artefacts (see attachment
>         zoomed.png).
>
>         I generated new app icons set (see attachment icons.zip):
>         Windows icon - it's clean and has 256px variant
>         OS X icon - it has added 1024px variant
>         Linux icons - new set with various sizes inc. scalable variant
>

> Cool, thanks. I've updated all the existing icons, and added the new
> sized PNGs to the include/images directory alongside the rest.

It should be updated packages specifications and pgamdin3.desktop file
in /pkg to reflect this new icons.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Marek Černocký <marek@manet.cz> wrote:
Dave Page píše v Po 15. 12. 2014 v 16:39 +0000:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Marek Černocký <marek@manet.cz>
> wrote:
>         pgAdmin's icons have low quality and are not fully ready for
>         hi-dpi
>         monitors. Icon for Linux app is only low res and has pure
>         quality (see
>         attachment screenshot.png). Icon for Windows app is probably
>         generated
>         from a jpeg and so it has some artefacts (see attachment
>         zoomed.png).
>
>         I generated new app icons set (see attachment icons.zip):
>         Windows icon - it's clean and has 256px variant
>         OS X icon - it has added 1024px variant
>         Linux icons - new set with various sizes inc. scalable variant
>

> Cool, thanks. I've updated all the existing icons, and added the new
> sized PNGs to the include/images directory alongside the rest.

It should be updated packages specifications

What do you mean?

and pgamdin3.desktop file
in /pkg to reflect this new icons.

The new icons were given the same names as the old ones. Do we need to add entries to the desktop file for multiple image sizes? If so, do you know what they should look like?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: App Icons

От
Marek Černocký
Дата:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

Essentials:

- Install icons to
/BUILD_ROOT/DATA_DIR/icons/hicolor/SIZE_SPEC/apps/pgadmin3.PNG|SVG
(same parts of path may be distribution specific)

- Use "Icon=pgamdmin3" in pgadmin3.desktop - desktop shell, e.g. GNOME,
KDE..., select itself suitable icon version from paths mentioned above.

Currently only one icon version is installed and used (mostly old icon
pgadmin3.xpm). See pkg/debian/pgadmin3.install,
pkg/suse/pgadmin3.spec.in... Some distributions added other own icons
outside official source code. It would nice prepare unified resources
for all Linux and *nix distributions. It includes some other changes, I
will post them separately.

Dave Page píše v Út 16. 12. 2014 v 09:42 +0000:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Marek Černocký <marek@manet.cz>
> wrote:
>         Dave Page píše v Po 15. 12. 2014 v 16:39 +0000:
>         > Hi
>         >
>         > On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Marek Černocký
>         <marek@manet.cz>
>         > wrote:
>         >         pgAdmin's icons have low quality and are not fully
>         ready for
>         >         hi-dpi
>         >         monitors. Icon for Linux app is only low res and has
>         pure
>         >         quality (see
>         >         attachment screenshot.png). Icon for Windows app is
>         probably
>         >         generated
>         >         from a jpeg and so it has some artefacts (see
>         attachment
>         >         zoomed.png).
>         >
>         >         I generated new app icons set (see attachment
>         icons.zip):
>         >         Windows icon - it's clean and has 256px variant
>         >         OS X icon - it has added 1024px variant
>         >         Linux icons - new set with various sizes inc.
>         scalable variant
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > Cool, thanks. I've updated all the existing icons, and added
>         the new
>         > sized PNGs to the include/images directory alongside the
>         rest.
>
>         It should be updated packages specifications
>

> What do you mean?
>
>         and pgamdin3.desktop file
>         in /pkg to reflect this new icons.
>

> The new icons were given the same names as the old ones. Do we need to
> add entries to the desktop file for multiple image sizes? If so, do
> you know what they should look like?
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: App Icons

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

/BUILD_ROOT/DATA_DIR/icons/hicolor/SIZE_SPEC/apps/pgadmin3.PNG|SVG
(same parts of path may be distribution specific)

- Use "Icon=pgamdmin3" in pgadmin3.desktop - desktop shell, e.g. GNOME,
KDE..., select itself suitable icon version from paths mentioned above.

OK.

Currently only one icon version is installed and used (mostly old icon
pgadmin3.xpm). See pkg/debian/pgadmin3.install,
pkg/suse/pgadmin3.spec.in... Some distributions added other own icons
outside official source code. It would nice prepare unified resources
for all Linux and *nix distributions. It includes some other changes, I
will post them separately.

As far as I know, none of the the packages in /pkg are used by any distributions except for Windows and Mac. I believe all the Linux platforms have their own spec files (or equivalent) - all the ones we have are extremely outdated and probably should be removed. I'd really like to hear from Linux packagers before we do that though.