Обсуждение: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Aloha!

On further testing 1.10.3 beta on Win XP Pro I found a bug that might be
a show-stopper.
See ticket #188.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi Erwin,

Le 14/05/2010 04:35, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
> [...]
> On further testing 1.10.3 beta on Win XP Pro I found a bug that might be
> a show-stopper.
> See ticket #188.

Can you give us the real statement to create that function?

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
On 14.05.2010 08:49, guillaume@lelarge.info wrote:
> Hi Erwin,
>
> Le 14/05/2010 04:35, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
>
>> [...]
>> On further testing 1.10.3 beta on Win XP Pro I found a bug that might be
>> a show-stopper.
>> See ticket #188.
>>

> Can you give us the real statement to create that function?

I have tested with a variety of fuctions. Any function returning TABLE()
will trigger the error. Example:

CREATE FUNCTION foo (IN integer)
   RETURNS TABLE(a integer, b integer) AS
$BODY$
SELECT 1,2;
$BODY$
   LANGUAGE 'sql';

Then try changing anything via function properties.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
> On 14.05.2010 08:49, guillaume@lelarge.info wrote:
>>
>> Hi Erwin,
>>
>> Le 14/05/2010 04:35, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
>>

>>> [...]
>>> On further testing 1.10.3 beta on Win XP Pro I found a bug that might be
>>> a show-stopper.
>>> See ticket #188.
>>>

>> Can you give us the real statement to create that function?
>>

> I have tested with a variety of fuctions. Any function returning TABLE()
> will trigger the error. Example:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION foo (IN integer)
>  RETURNS TABLE(a integer, b integer) AS
> $BODY$
> SELECT 1,2;
> $BODY$
>  LANGUAGE 'sql';
>
> Then try changing anything via function properties.

Unfortunately it's too late to stop the show now (due to the
PostgreSQL build schedule, and pgCon next week). We can push out an
additional update in a week or so if we like.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 14/05/2010 13:42, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
> <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>> On 14.05.2010 08:49, guillaume@lelarge.info wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Erwin,

>>> Can you give us the real statement to create that function?
>>>

>> I have tested with a variety of fuctions. Any function returning TABLE()
>> will trigger the error. Example:
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION foo (IN integer)
>>  RETURNS TABLE(a integer, b integer) AS
>> $BODY$
>> SELECT 1,2;
>> $BODY$
>>  LANGUAGE 'sql';
>>
>> Then try changing anything via function properties.

OK. Fixed.

> Unfortunately it's too late to stop the show now (due to the
> PostgreSQL build schedule, and pgCon next week). We can push out an
> additional update in a week or so if we like.

Not sure we really need to. This bug only occured for TABLE-returning
functions and was already there before 1.10.3.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
On 14.05.2010 22:24, guillaume@lelarge.info wrote:
> Le 14/05/2010 13:42, Dave Page a écrit :
>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
>> <brandstetter@falter.at>  wrote:

>>> I have tested with a variety of fuctions. Any function returning TABLE()
>>> will trigger the error. Example:
>>>
>>> CREATE FUNCTION foo (IN integer)
>>>   RETURNS TABLE(a integer, b integer) AS
>>> $BODY$
>>> SELECT 1,2;
>>> $BODY$
>>>   LANGUAGE 'sql';
>>>
>>> Then try changing anything via function properties.
>>>
> OK. Fixed.
>

>> Unfortunately it's too late to stop the show now (due to the
>> PostgreSQL build schedule, and pgCon next week). We can push out an
>> additional update in a week or so if we like.
>>

> Not sure we really need to. This bug only occured for TABLE-returning
> functions and was already there before 1.10.3

The major reason why I did not find the bug earlier ist that the reverse
engineered SQL for TABLE-returning functions was broken up until 1.10.2
(ticket  #159). Therefore I avoided this notation and substituted the
(for SET-returning functions) inferior OUT-Parameter notation. Now, that
the SQL is fixed, I started to make use of the RETURNS TABLE() notation
and the problem popped up. I expect more people to run into this now.

If we decide not to got for 1.10.4 maybe we should add a "known bugs"
disclaimer on the webside?

Regards
Erwin

Re: Bug in 1.10.3: Properties dialog for functions returning TABLE(..) is broken.

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
On 14.05.2010 22:54, brsaweda@gmail.com wrote:
> On 14.05.2010 22:24, guillaume@lelarge.info wrote:
>> Le 14/05/2010 13:42, Dave Page a écrit :

>> OK. Fixed.
>>
>>> Unfortunately it's too late to stop the show now (due to the
>>> PostgreSQL build schedule, and pgCon next week). We can push out an
>>> additional update in a week or so if we like.
>>>
>> Not sure we really need to. This bug only occured for TABLE-returning
>> functions and was already there before 1.10.3
>
> The major reason why I did not find the bug earlier ist that the
> reverse engineered SQL for TABLE-returning functions was broken up
> until 1.10.2 (ticket  #159). Therefore I avoided this notation and
> substituted the (for SET-returning functions) inferior OUT-Parameter
> notation. Now, that the SQL is fixed, I started to make use of the
> RETURNS TABLE() notation and the problem popped up. I expect more
> people to run into this now.
>
> If we decide not to got for 1.10.4 maybe we should add a "known bugs"
> disclaimer on the webside?

Maybe, for sake of simplicity, just a link to tickets in trac tagged
1.10.4. Something like
     http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/query?milestone=1.10.4
Just thinking aloud ...

Regards