Обсуждение: Visual C++ 2005

Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Now that Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free from Microsoft, is
there any reason not to upgrade the VC project files to the latest
version and drop VC++6 support?

Regards, Dave

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Edward Di Geronimo Jr."
Дата:
Quoting Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>:

> Now that Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free from Microsoft, is
> there any reason not to upgrade the VC project files to the latest
> version and drop VC++6 support?

I haven't looked into anything newer than VC++, so I don't know much
about it. What do we gain by upgrading the project files? I'm assuming
the newer versions can open the older project files. Also, can Visual
Studio 6 and the 2005 Express Editions go exist on a computer?

I'm not opposed to an upgrade, I'm just trying to find out what's involved.

Ed

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Hirodhi Saito"
Дата:
> Now that Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free from Microsoft, is
> there any reason not to upgrade the VC project files to the latest
> version and drop VC++6 support?

I think VC++6 environment is required until it stops supporting W2K.
However, VS2005Express will be great. Therefore, it is desired.
It is both existence if time and effort is not regretted.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"

More advanced IDE, newer and theoretically less bugs in the runtimes.

> I'm assuming the newer versions can open the older
> project files.

Yes, but they cannot write them.

> Also, can Visual Studio 6 and the 2005 Express
> Editions go exist on a computer?

I have Visual Studio 6, 2003 and 2005 installed here with no problems. I
would assume that Express can coexist as well (though probably not with
my 2K5 Team Edition).

Regards, Dave

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"

Why?

> However, VS2005Express will be great. Therefore, it is desired.
> It is both existence if time and effort is not regretted.

There's a typo in your email name BTW: Hirodhi Saito

:-)

Regards, Dave

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Hirohi Saito"
Дата:
> > I think VC++6 environment is required until it stops supporting W2K.
>
> Why?

It has difficulty in offer by the MSVCRT problem.
Probably, In the case of supply of a binary.

> There's a typo in your email name BTW: Hirodhi Saito

Ahhh, even not only environment but my name will be unstable recently.:-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Apparently, VC2005 links mandatorily/unavoidable to .NET CRT libs which
aren't necessarily present on the system, and which should not be
delivered with the app (according to MS). If this wouldn't be the
problem, we'd have VC2005 projects in svn for some months now...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Hirohi Saito wrote:
>>>I think VC++6 environment is required until it stops supporting W2K.
>>
>>Why?
>

> It has difficulty in offer by the MSVCRT problem.
> Probably, In the case of supply of a binary.
>

>>There's a typo in your email name BTW: Hirodhi Saito
>

> Ahhh, even not only environment but my name will be unstable recently.:-)

We all know that Japan's ground may be shakey frmo time to itme.
Apparently, letters can be affected too.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
> Hirohi Saito wrote:
> > Ahhh, even not only environment but my name will be unstable recently.:-)
>
> We all know that Japan's ground may be shakey frmo time to itme.
> Apparently, letters can be affected too.

Uga, I have many pen names.:-)

Absolute.
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"

Ah, now that I didn't know. So, you're expected to distribute the entire
.NET Framework just to get msvcrt8.dll (or whatever)? Urgh.

Regards, Dave

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Somewhat. Those dlls are expected in Windows\WinSxS\something. I suspect
that pgAdmin *would* work if we just shipped that DLL side by side
though, but I'm wary.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"

I'm not so sure it's a problem - from Visual Studio's redist.txt:

For your convenience, we have provided the following folders for use
when redistributing VC++ runtime files. Subject to the license terms for
the software, you may redistribute the folder (unmodified) in the
application local folder as a sub-folder with no change to the folder
name. You may also redistribute all the files (*.dll and *.manifest)
within a folder, listed below the folder for your convenience, as an
entire set.

<snip ATL stuff>

\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\
    msvcm80.dll
    msvcp80.dll
    msvcr80.dll
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

\VC\redist\ia64\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\
    msvcm80.dll
    msvcp80.dll
    msvcr80.dll
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

\VC\redist\amd64\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\
    msvcm80.dll
    msvcp80.dll
    msvcr80.dll
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

I'll try a test build in a clean Win2K VM and report back....

Regards, Dave.

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> I'm not so sure it's a problem - from Visual Studio's redist.txt:
>
> For your convenience, we have provided the following folders for use
> when redistributing VC++ runtime files. Subject to the license terms for
> the software, you may redistribute the folder (unmodified) in the
> application local folder as a sub-folder with no change to the folder
> name.
Sounds like distri bloating, for no benefit.

Best would be if this manifest stuff could be omitted totally; we
probably could link to the old msvcrt then.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Dave Page"

The bloat is only about 1.5Mb which isn't too bad, but having just
watched literally thousands of warnings go past when compiling wxWidgets
about all sorts of stuff like strdup being deprecated, I really can't be
bothered to carry on. Perhaps when wx is cleaned up...

Regards, Dave.

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> The bloat is only about 1.5Mb which isn't too bad, but having just
> watched literally thousands of warnings go past when compiling wxWidgets
> about all sorts of stuff like strdup being deprecated, I really can't be
> bothered to carry on. Perhaps when wx is cleaned up...

According to MS, C++ is deprecated...
There's a pragma for that. This warning is simply stupid for us, IMHO no
reason for "wx clean up".

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Also, can Visual Studio 6 and the 2005 Express Editions go
> exist on a
> > computer?
>
> I have Visual Studio 6, 2003 and 2005 installed here with no
> problems. I would assume that Express can coexist as well
> (though probably not with my 2K5 Team Edition).

I beleive it will coexist fine with the full 2k5 versions. At least it's
supposed to, thouhg I have to admit I haven't tried it myself :-)

//Magnus

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Microsoft, is
> >>
> >>I think VC++6 environment is required until it stops
> supporting W2K.
> >

> > Why?
>
> Apparently, VC2005 links mandatorily/unavoidable to .NET CRT
> libs which aren't necessarily present on the system, and
> which should not be delivered with the app (according to MS).
> If this wouldn't be the problem, we'd have VC2005 projects in
> svn for some months now...

Uh. .Net libs are only pulled in if you set it to do "managed code".
It's quite possible they changed the defualt to that, but it's certainly
not necessary. New versions of the native runtime libraries are, though.

//Magnus

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Sounds like distri bloating, for no benefit.
> >
> > Best would be if this manifest stuff could be omitted totally; we
> > probably could link to the old msvcrt then.
>
> The bloat is only about 1.5Mb which isn't too bad, but having

Or you can just link statically and then only pull in the parts you
need?

> just watched literally thousands of warnings go past when
> compiling wxWidgets about all sorts of stuff like strdup
> being deprecated, I really can't be bothered to carry on.
> Perhaps when wx is cleaned up...

For that, you need a:
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

Or as a /D in your build file.

Should make them all go away.

See for example
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/05/SafeCandC/default.aspx?si
de=true and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/tour/vs2005_guided_tour/VS2005pro/Fram
ework/CPlusSafeLibraries.htm.

//Magnus

Re: Visual C++ 2005

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>>Sounds like distri bloating, for no benefit.
>>>
>>>Best would be if this manifest stuff could be omitted totally; we
>>>probably could link to the old msvcrt then.
>>
>>The bloat is only about 1.5Mb which isn't too bad, but having
>

> Or you can just link statically and then only pull in the parts you
> need?

Not the worst solution.

Regards,
Andreas