Обсуждение: pgAdmin server properties dialog

pgAdmin server properties dialog

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I have a few comments on the server properties dialog on issues that have
bothered me for a long time.

First, the title of the window is something like "Server localhost", which
means nothing.  Perhaps this should be "Connection Properties" or "Server
Properties".

When I read "Description" I think of sentence or paragraph length descriptions
(cf. ODBC data sources).  Perhaps "Name" is better.

Then, the term "Address" is a bit confusing.  PostgreSQL tools typically use
the terms host, port, username, database.  So please use "Host" here, too.

The "Service" field is unclear to me and it clashes with the termin service as
applied by libpq.  See concurrent discussion on pgsql-hackers.

"store password" should be capitalized.

Overall, the arrangement of the fields could be optimized.  The "Description"
field is something that the user makes up whereas the other ones are
necessitated by the environment, so it would be sense to group them together
that way.  Also, host and port should be closer together.  I imagine this
would be better:

Name:
Host:
Port:   SSL:
Username:
Password:
Store Password:
Maintenance DB:
Service(?):
Connection Now:

I would also welcome as a click-saving measure that "Connection Now" be
transformed into a button.  So replace the OK buttong by, say, "Save" and
"Save and Connect".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pgAdmin server properties dialog

От
"Dave Page"

It is precisely the correct term on Windows though which is where it was
first used.

> "store password" should be capitalized.

It is in trunk.

Wrt your other suggestions, they're on my todo for review.

Regards Dave.

Re: pgAdmin server properties dialog

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have a few comments on the server properties dialog on issues that have
> bothered me for a long time.
>
> First, the title of the window is something like "Server localhost", which
> means nothing.  Perhaps this should be "Connection Properties" or "Server
> Properties".
>
> When I read "Description" I think of sentence or paragraph length descriptions
> (cf. ODBC data sources).  Perhaps "Name" is better.
>
> Then, the term "Address" is a bit confusing.  PostgreSQL tools typically use
> the terms host, port, username, database.  So please use "Host" here, too.
>
> The "Service" field is unclear to me and it clashes with the termin service as
> applied by libpq.  See concurrent discussion on pgsql-hackers.
>
> "store password" should be capitalized.
>
> Overall, the arrangement of the fields could be optimized.  The "Description"
> field is something that the user makes up whereas the other ones are
> necessitated by the environment, so it would be sense to group them together
> that way.  Also, host and port should be closer together.  I imagine this
> would be better:
>
> Name:
> Host:
> Port:   SSL:
> Username:
> Password:
> Store Password:
> Maintenance DB:
> Service(?):
> Connection Now:

I'd propose to use "Host address" to make it a little clearer.
The word "Service" is, as Dave already pointed out, the correct one
under Win32. However, it's certainly not very meaningful under *ix, so
how can we call this? In theory, we could name the field different in
the win32 and the *ix versions (they can control only local servers),
but this also affects the documentation so a common name for all
versions would highly desirable.

> I would also welcome as a click-saving measure that "Connection Now" be
> transformed into a button.  So replace the OK buttong by, say, "Save" and
> "Save and Connect".

Easier said than done. The OK button is handled generalized in a class
deep down, but it's doable (this applies to new registrations only, for
editing existent ones it's still ok).

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin server properties dialog

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2006 18:05 schrieb Dave Page:
> > The "Service" field is unclear to me and it clashes with the
> > termin service as
> > applied by libpq.  See concurrent discussion on pgsql-hackers.
>
> Left as service, per my earlier comment. If you can come up with
> something that makes sense on Windows and *nix, please feel free to
> suggest it.

Yeah, now that I know what this field is for, I see the problem.  Some Linux
distributions even have a "service" command to start, well, services
from /etc/init.d, so it seems to be the right term.  Maybe "operating system
service" would be clearer but it's way too long.

> Connect now is the default option, and I think it's almost certainly the
> most common case so in most cases it shouldn't cause any extra clicks.

Yes, that is good.

--
Peter Eisentraut