Обсуждение: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear friends,

I realise that I messed-up the description of pgAdmin III in PAD file. Here is
the proposed description:

<Char_Desc_45>
PostgreSQL free administration interface
</Char_Desc_45>

<Char_Desc_80>
PostgreSQL free administration interface, with query builder and SQL editor.
</Char_Desc_80>

<Char_Desc_250>
pgAdmin III is a powerful graphical interface for the PostgreSQL database,
free for any use. Includes an administration interface, a query builder, an
sql editor, a server-side code editor and much more.
</Char_Desc_250>

<Char_Desc_450>
pgAdmin III is a powerful administration and development interface for the
PostgreSQL database, free for any use. pgAdmin III is designed to answer the
needs of all users, from writing simple SQL queries to developing complex
databases. The graphical interface supports all PostgreSQL features and makes
administration easy. The application also includes a query builder, an SQL
editor, a server-side code editor and much more.
</Char_Desc_450>

Can we validate these entries (Dave?). The digit is the maximum lenght in
characters. Translators will have to respect it... I will need to add PHP
code to the web site to test the lenght of entries and validate them.

Shall we replace "interface" with "center"?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
"Dave Page"

- Not sure about: "PostgreSQL free administration interface". What about
"PostgreSQL administration and development centre"?

- We don't have a query builder yet. The wxMDI stuff doesn't play nicely
under GTK :-(

- "sql editor" should be "SQL editor"

> Shall we replace "interface" with "center"?

'centre' please. I speak the Queen's English, not American :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mardi 10 Février 2004 16:55, Dave Page a écrit :
> 'centre' please. I speak the Queen's English, not American :-)

I did not realiZe it, but let's go for pounds and inches.
:)

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Mardi 10 Février 2004 16:55, Dave Page a écrit :
>

>>'centre' please. I speak the Queen's English, not American :-)
>>

>I did not realiZe it, but let's go for pounds and inches.
>:)

pgAdmin is a European-Japanese co-production, but I'm afraid my English
is a bit spoiled by Americanisms. I'll practice writing coloUr and
licenCe from now on, don't hesitate to correct me if I fail  :-)

BTW we should review the application strings, I believe it's a GB/US mix
now. We should rewrite to pure GB, and provide US translation....

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
"Dave Page"

Well we do have a little .us influence from Adam, but yes, primarily
European/Japanese.

> BTW we should review the application strings, I believe it's
> a GB/US mix now. We should rewrite to pure GB, and provide US
> translation....

For the purist that is of course the correct thing to do, but is it
worth it? We also store the docs and en_US which would cause CVS grief
(not to mention the fact that the included pg docs *are* en_US).

/D

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
"Dave Page"

Naturally. What else would a sane person use?

:-)

/D

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mardi 10 Février 2004 16:55, Dave Page a écrit :
> - Not sure about: "PostgreSQL free administration interface". What about
> "PostgreSQL administration and development centre"?

Dear Dave, Andreas and all,

I commited the proposed changes to CVS.
Can we validate the following text:

<Char_Desc_45>
  Administration Centre for PostgreSQL
</Char_Desc_45>

<Char_Desc_80>
    Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use
</Char_Desc_80>

<Char_Desc_250>
      Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use.
Includes a graphical administration interface, an SQL query tool, a
procedural code editor and much more. Designed to answer the needs of all
users.
</Char_Desc_250>

<Char_Desc_450>
Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use. Includes
a graphical administration interface, an SQL query tool, a procedural code
editor and much more. <br/>pgAdmin III is designed to answer the needs of all
users, from writing simple SQL queries to developing complex databases.
Available in more than 30 languages and for several operating systems.
</Char_Desc_450>

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, and consequently GB won't invent the Euro, but is waiting for
worldwide introduction of Pound, Shilling and Pence...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Mardi 10 Février 2004 16:55, Dave Page a écrit :
>

>>- Not sure about: "PostgreSQL free administration interface". What about
>>"PostgreSQL administration and development centre"?
>>

>Dear Dave, Andreas and all,
>
>I commited the proposed changes to CVS.
>Can we validate the following text:
>
><Char_Desc_45>
>  Administration Centre for PostgreSQL
></Char_Desc_45>
>
><Char_Desc_80>
>    Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use

"free for any use" sounds funny.

></Char_Desc_80>
>
><Char_Desc_250>
>      Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use.
>Includes a graphical administration interface, an SQL query tool, a
>procedural code editor and much more. Designed to answer the needs of all
>users.
></Char_Desc_250>

all users? Not all, just for admins.

><Char_Desc_450>
>Administration Centre for the PostgreSQL database, free for any use. Includes
>a graphical administration interface, an SQL query tool, a procedural code
>editor and much more. <br/>

hu? What's that br/ for?

>pgAdmin III is designed to answer the needs of all
>users, from writing simple SQL queries to developing complex databases.
>Available in more than 30 languages and for several operating systems

including Windows, Linux and FreeBSD (we want MacOsX here quite soon too...)

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Ooops! Sorry Adam, imagin fmonkey state as a big European island...
 :-)

>>BTW we should review the application strings, I believe it's
>>a GB/US mix now. We should rewrite to pure GB, and provide US
>>translation....
>>

>For the purist that is of course the correct thing to do, but is it
>worth it?

To please Her Majesty? There should be no cost too high, I suppose!

> We also store the docs and en_US which would cause CVS grief
>(not to mention the fact that the included pg docs *are* en_US).

I was wondering when the GB translation for pgdoc is done...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>

>> pgAdmin III is designed to answer the needs of all users, from
>> writing simple SQL queries to developing complex databases. Available
>> in more than 30 languages and for several operating systems
>>
> including Windows, Linux and FreeBSD (we want MacOsX here quite soon
> too...)

and Solaris ;)

Raphaël

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear Andreas,

> "free for any use" sounds funny.
Replaced with "freeware".

> Designed for all users...
Designed to answer the needs of most users.

> hu? What's that br/ for?
Removed.

> including Windows, Linux and FreeBSD (we want MacOsX here quite soon
> too...)
Added in the 2000 char version. I propose to wait for MacOsX and SunOS.
Whenever we update our PAD, the changes are propagated automatically.

By the way, some nice stuff. PAD files accept extensions to link PAD files
between them. I added the following entries in pgAdmin PAD:

    <PADRING>
        http://www.aquafold.com/PAD_FILE.XML
        http://www.alligatorsql.de/download/alligator.xml
        http://www.casestudio.com/padinfo/casestudio.xml
        http://www.degisy.com/padinfo/dbw5_eng.xml
        http://www.ems-hitech.com/pad/pgmanager_pad.xml
        http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/various/win.xml
        http://www.microolap.com/pad/pgisql.xml
        http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/cnt/pgadmin3.xml
        http://www.sqlboss.com/PAD_SQLBoss_Dev_WIN.xml
    </PADRING>

Sites publishing pgAdmin will be able to grab information from these
softwares, which are all sharewares, not freewares. On the converse, sites
publishing EMS-PostgreSQL Manager will be able to grab pgAdmin III.

In the future, we can think of adding MySQL control center or the like, which
may help us appear on the same sites. The ***hunt*** is just beginning.

Thanks and cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
"Dave Page"

No offence but I'd like to keep pounds and pence please. No sense in
needlessly ruining our economy...

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>In the future, we can think of adding MySQL control center or the like, which
>may help us appear on the same sites. The ***hunt*** is just beginning.

I don't see why there should be a reference to mysql. I don't like
hijacking keywords, that'S not pgsql style.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III description in PAD file

От