Обсуждение: I'm Back

I'm Back

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Sorry folks, I've been battling sickeness for the past week or so, so
I've been kinda off the radar.  Please send me any patches that need to
be reviewed and I will take care of them today.  Also, I've been looking
at the Query Builder crash, and it seems to be a wxWindows bug, but I
got no love on the wxWindows list, so I may have to track it down
myself.  :-(

ahp

Re: I'm Back

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Adam,

Hope you're feeling better. Only a couple of things I'm aware of, and
they should be in your inbox from earlier.

Regards, Dave.

Re: I'm Back

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Dave Page wrote:

>Hi Adam,
>
>Hope you're feeling better. Only a couple of things I'm aware of, and
>they should be in your inbox from earlier.
>
>Regards, Dave.

Is it possible for them to be re-sent?  I believe they got lost in the
mass deleting I did when faced with 1000+ messages to read.  :)

ahp

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Friday 20 June 2003 15:28, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
> Please send me any patches that need to
> be reviewed and I will take care of them today.

Hi Adam,

Nice to know you are back. Two weeks ago, I was sick like hell sleeping in bed
a week or so. This did not happen to me since I was a child...

My current issues are related to packaging:

- pgAdmin3 configuration script should query wxgtk2ud-2.5-config and not
wx-config symlink. The reasons is that pgAdmin3 cannot conflict with existing
wxGTK 2.4 installations. Otherwise, it will never enter a Linux distribution.

- Mandrake 9.1 provides rather old autoconf (2.13-16mdk) and automake
(1.4-21.p6.mdk) packages. No update is provided on Mandrake Cooker, the
equivalent of Rawhide. Also, I tried to install these packages from source,
but the installation did not pass the test. So can we do? Would it be
possible to use a more complex autoconf script ... which would work on old
autoconf + automake?

- SuSE 8.2 installation needs a patch to find PostgreSQL headers. A patch has
been sent to Dave. Please find it enclosed.

Your help is welcome. Do you think the wxWindows 2.5 CVS libraries are stable
enough to produce a MacOsX version? This would be a killing news...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: I'm Back

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>On Friday 20 June 2003 15:28, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
>

>- pgAdmin3 configuration script should query wxgtk2ud-2.5-config and not
>wx-config symlink. The reasons is that pgAdmin3 cannot conflict with existing
>wxGTK 2.4 installations. Otherwise, it will never enter a Linux distribution.

The wx-config symlink should point to the most recent (that is the last
'make install'ed) version of wxWindows on the box.  If a user has more
than one wxWindows installation, and they want to use a version which is
*not* symlinked (I can think of all kinds of problems with this), then
we can provide a --with-wx-version= option so they can explicity specify
the version they want to use (2.5-2ud, 2.4-ud, 2.4-d, etc.).

>- Mandrake 9.1 provides rather old autoconf (2.13-16mdk) and automake
>(1.4-21.p6.mdk) packages. No update is provided on Mandrake Cooker, the
>equivalent of Rawhide. Also, I tried to install these packages from source,
>but the installation did not pass the test. So can we do? Would it be
>possible to use a more complex autoconf script ... which would work on old
>autoconf + automake?

I think I can fix the scripts so that they can be used with the old
versions of autoconf and automake.  I will need you to test them to make
sure they work, but this shouldn't be a problem.

>- SuSE 8.2 installation needs a patch to find PostgreSQL headers. A patch has
>been sent to Dave. Please find it enclosed.

I've looked at this patch and I'm pretty sure it breaks regular pgsql
includes on other systems, but I will create a patch that does work.

>Your help is welcome. Do you think the wxWindows 2.5 CVS libraries are stable
>enough to produce a MacOsX version? This would be a killing news...

No, the Mac port is in pretty bad shape, and I don't know how much of it
can be blamed on wxWindows (my wxWindows apps work fine on Mac).  Your
donated Mac is much too slow for me to use (slow from a network
perspective that is), and using my laptop for development is somewhat
tedious, though it should work for the time being.  I am trying to get a
Mac machine to put on my network here, which should speed up my Mac
debugging.

ahp

Re: I'm Back

От
"Dave Page"

That was my thought as well. I suggested an additional --with-wx-config
option to allow the user to specify which config file to use, no matter
what it's called.

> >- SuSE 8.2 installation needs a patch to find PostgreSQL headers. A
> >patch has
> >been sent to Dave. Please find it enclosed.
> >
> I've looked at this patch and I'm pretty sure it breaks regular pgsql
> includes on other systems, but I will create a patch that does work.

Agreed. I suggested a --with-pgsql-include option that overrides the
default ${PGHOME}/include. --with-pgsql would remain.

Regards, Dave.

Re: I'm Back

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>
>> On Friday 20 June 2003 15:28, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
>>

>> - pgAdmin3 configuration script should query wxgtk2ud-2.5-config and
>> not wx-config symlink. The reasons is that pgAdmin3 cannot conflict
>> with existing wxGTK 2.4 installations. Otherwise, it will never enter
>> a Linux distribution.
>>
> The wx-config symlink should point to the most recent (that is the
> last 'make install'ed) version of wxWindows on the box.  If a user has
> more than one wxWindows installation, and they want to use a version
> which is *not* symlinked (I can think of all kinds of problems with
> this), then we can provide a --with-wx-version= option so they can
> explicity specify the version they want to use (2.5-2ud, 2.4-ud,
> 2.4-d, etc.).

Why do we need that?
There's the --with-wx option, which should point to a valid wxWindows
directory, from there the version should be derived. Unicode and debug
chars are derived from their appropriate options.

>> - Mandrake 9.1 provides rather old autoconf (2.13-16mdk) and automake
>> (1.4-21.p6.mdk) packages. No update is provided on Mandrake Cooker,
>> the equivalent of Rawhide. Also, I tried to install these packages
>> from source, but the installation did not pass the test. So can we
>> do? Would it be possible to use a more complex autoconf script ...
>> which would work on old autoconf + automake?
>>
> I think I can fix the scripts so that they can be used with the old
> versions of autoconf and automake.  I will need you to test them to
> make sure they work, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Do we need autoconf to be running on all systems? It's just for creating
the configure scripts, and the normal "download and compile" user will
never use autoconf. He'll "configure; make; make install" and that's ok.
An ambitious user who wants to contribute or sth. will be required to
use the latest tools, including autoconf.

>> - SuSE 8.2 installation needs a patch to find PostgreSQL headers. A
>> patch has been sent to Dave. Please find it enclosed.

Sounds strange to me. I'd expect pgsql lib and include to reside under
the same directory (usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib, if no special
prefix is applied).

Regards,
Andreas

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
> The wx-config symlink should point to the most recent (that is the last
> 'make install'ed) version of wxWindows on the box.  If a user has more
> than one wxWindows installation, and they want to use a version which is
> *not* symlinked (I can think of all kinds of problems with this), then
> we can provide a --with-wx-version= option so they can explicity specify
> the version they want to use (2.5-2ud, 2.4-ud, 2.4-d, etc.).

--enable-unicode = u
--with-gtk2 = gtk2
--enable-debug = d
--with-wx25=2.5

wx{gtk2 }{u}{d}{-2.5}-config
Anyway, your solution also works, so let's go for it.

> I think I can fix the scripts so that they can be used with the old
> versions of autoconf and automake.  I will need you to test them to make
> sure they work, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I have a Mandrake 9.1 host home ready for testing. If you wish, just send me
your public SS key so I can give you root access. Dave already sent me his
key, but you are the ***master*** of autoconf...

> I've looked at this patch and I'm pretty sure it breaks regular pgsql
> includes on other systems, but I will create a patch that does work.

Thanks. The SuSE 8.2 host is in Germany. I will be testing your script...

> No, the Mac port is in pretty bad shape, and I don't know how much of it
> can be blamed on wxWindows (my wxWindows apps work fine on Mac).  Your
> donated Mac is much too slow for me to use (slow from a network
> perspective that is), and using my laptop for development is somewhat
> tedious, though it should work for the time being.  I am trying to get a
> Mac machine to put on my network here, which should speed up my Mac
> debugging.

Agreed. I may take a day or so to compile wxWindows... The Mandrake 8.2 host
needs four hours to compile wxWindows... But for daily snapshots, the donated
Mac is perfect. If you were living in Europe, I would send you the Mac...

Thanks again for your help. If we are able to release Mandrake 9.1 and SuSE
8.2 snapshots, we would certainly reach many new users.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: I'm Back

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Agreed. I may take a day or so to compile wxWindows... The Mandrake 8.2 host
>needs four hours to compile wxWindows... But for daily snapshots, the donated
>Mac is perfect. If you were living in Europe, I would send you the Mac...

Even in Europe I'll bet it's still pretty expensive to ship it.  :-)

ahp

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Friday 20 June 2003 17:24, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Do we need autoconf to be running on all systems? It's just for creating
> the configure scripts, and the normal "download and compile" user will
> never use autoconf. He'll "configure; make; make install" and that's ok.
> An ambitious user who wants to contribute or sth. will be required to
> use the latest tools, including autoconf.

You are dammed right... I should run autoconf on my Redhat 9 build host and
transfer the files to the Mandrake 8.2 host. Let's see if it works...

This also means we should run autoconf latest version and commit the files to
CVS. Any idea?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: I'm Back

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>This also means we should run autoconf latest version and commit the files to
>CVS. Any idea?

I would prefer generating a snapshot of configure nightly, instead of
including it in CVS.  Keep in mind that bootstrap also generates two
Makefile.in files, so the snapshot would have to include more than just
'configure'.

ahp

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Friday 20 June 2003 19:26, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
> I would prefer generating a snapshot of configure nightly, instead of
> including it in CVS.  Keep in mind that bootstrap also generates two
> Makefile.in files, so the snapshot would have to include more than just
> 'configure'.

OK, thanks. This is what I did. I only have problems finding PostgreSQL header
files under SuSE and Mandrake.

Also, could it be possible to support the "make distro" option? It is
sometimes used to ease the making of RPMs. When make distro is run, %(date
+%Y%m%d) in pgadmin.spec should be replaced with yyyymmdd. Then, making RPMs
becomes easy: rpm -tb pgadmin3.tar.bz2. I added this request to the TODO.txt
file in CVS. Don't do it now, it is not urgent at all.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: I'm Back

От
"Dave Page"

We do, it's on Snake and www.pgadmin.org. The build-snapshot script does
it by getting a clean tree, bootstrapping, configuring and then running
make dist.

If you need pre-bootstrapped source, grab that.

Regards, Dave.

Re: I'm Back

От
"Dave Page"

pls see the src directory on snake for a pre-bootstrapped source distro.

Regards, Dave.

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Friday 20 June 2003 23:06, Dave Page wrote:
> We do, it's on Snake and www.pgadmin.org. The build-snapshot script does
> it by getting a clean tree, bootstrapping, configuring and then running
> make dist.

I run such scripts for wxGTKud and pgadmin.spec RPMs. They have several
arguments like source_dirs and target_host and take care of scp uploading
(which is not at stake here). I will commit them to CVS when finished.

But these scripts are not really standard. "Make dist" is used by packagers of
Linux vendors to ease creation of RPMs. It is the standard way.

I'll submit a patch...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: I'm Back

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Friday 20 June 2003 23:22, Dave Page wrote:
> pls see the src directory on snake for a pre-bootstrapped source distro.

Several packagers will be building from CVS, because we do not need to fetch
the whole archive. Would it be possible to run a cron job every 2 hours to
bootstrap and commit to CVS? I can do it if you whish.

If no change was introduced, in the configure script and needed files, the
versions will stay the same. Otherwise, the scripts will be updated.

What do you think of it?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: I'm Back

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Jean-Michel POURE once said:
> On Friday 20 June 2003 23:22, Dave Page wrote:
>> pls see the src directory on snake for a pre-bootstrapped source
>> distro.
>
> Several packagers will be building from CVS, because we do not need to
> fetch  the whole archive. Would it be possible to run a cron job every
> 2 hours to  bootstrap and commit to CVS? I can do it if you whish.

If someone adds the configure script I *think* that will be enough. As we
shoudl all test changes before committing, anything that does get
committed should include the updated script.
Regards, Dave.