Retrieve the server's time zone

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Retrieve the server's time zone
Дата
Re: Retrieve the server's time zone
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

it seems the JDBC driver (or Java?) makes it impossible to retrieve the server's time zone.

Apparently the driver changes the timezone setting so that it can't be reset to the original from the server.

When I run "show timezone" from within JDBC I *always* get the client's time zone, even if I do a "reset timezone"
beforethat

When I do the same with psql I can see the server's time zone.

Ultimately I would like to get the server's time, e.g. by running something like:
  select current_timestamp at time zone server_timezone

I already posted this to the general mailing list, because I initially thought this was a Postgres problem.
Tom Lane suggested, I could see the original time zone the server is set up with using:
  select reset_val from pg_settings where name = 'TimeZone';

But that again returns the client's time zone through JDBC, but the real time zone through psql.

It seems the driver changes this setting permanently for the session.
If that is the case, can I prevent that somehow?

Thomas