Re: [HACKERS] LIMITS

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] LIMITS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > Chris Bitmead wrote:

> > > I did a full compile,  but I didn't do an initdb. I was upgrading from a
> > > 6.5 beta of about a month ago to the latest CVS. Should it be necessary?
> >
> >     I think we shouldn't call anything BETA until it is released.
> >     The current CVS tree has ALPHA state.
> >
> >     Until the official release (when  Marc  rolls  the  tarball),
> >     development  can  cause all kind of changes, including schema
> >     changes   to   system    catalogs,    print    strings    for
> >     parsetrees/plans  etc.  Those  changes  require an initdb run
> >     because the db files aren't binary compatible any more or the
> >     corresponding node read functions aren't able to get back the
> >     right trees from the  string  representations  found  in  the
> >     catalogs.
> >
> >     Until  Marc  officially  releases  BETA,  you  should allways
> >     compile clean and run initdb after cvs updates. It's not  the
> >     first time you've got trapped by this.
>
> But we have been in beta officially since at least May 1.  Why is this
> not beta?

    If  fact  it  is  -  right buddy - but some {loo|u}sers think
    "BETA" is something ready for use with the risk of having  to
    install some bugfixes later. But using our BETA might require
    to dump/reload and that's not simply installing a fix.

    It all has to do with how we handle our BETA phase. I know, I
    was  myself one of those who caused an initdb during this. It
    was required for one of our TODO's for v6.5.

    In the future, at the moment we want to declare  current  CVS
    beeing  BETA,  we  should  identify all those TODO items that
    potentially require an initdb and decide upon  them  if  they
    have  to  go  into  the  next release or if they cause a BETA
    delay. After we declared BETA, any TODO item that requires an
    initdb must by default go into the next release. Closed shop!

Jan