Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types

От D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Тема Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > I don't want to sound defensive but people have been sounding negative
> > about having this type in.  I just want to make sure that we all see
> > the positive side of this too.
> >
> OK.  I want to take responsibility for the one-month delay of 6.4.

No hair shirts, please.  :-)

> We didn't start serious beta until October 1, and D'Arcy got caught with
> Paul Vixie defining/adding the IP type.  D'Arcy was just left holding
> the bag when people started to worry about the delay.  It was not his
> fault.

Just to be clear, I was defending the type, not myself.  We can't take
any minor disagreements personally.  If we do we start splintering the
group and that's no good for the project as a whole.

The bottom line is that there was a little bit of a problem getting
6.4 out the door but we wound up with a superior product.  We also
have some ideas for improving the release methodology for next time.
Given what we have I don't believe anyone needs to beat themself up
over some minor problem that we had getting there.