Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue

От Marc Herbert
Тема Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> No, it would take a protocol change to add such a thing out-of-line
> (that is, not as a LIMIT clause in the query text).  The reason is that
> the planning is done at PARSE time, or at the latest BIND time.  The
> row limit field in the EXECUTE message comes far too late to affect the
> query plan.

If planning is done at time of creation of the PreparedStatement
object (reminder: the example given above has no parameters), then the
setMaxRows() call will come too late whatever is the protocol change.
I mean: no protocol change can go back in time and "optimize" by not
doing useless work already done.

Thanks in advance for pointing out my mistake(s) here.