Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2024-02-28 at 09:29 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-02-28 at 10:55 -0600, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > I'm afraid I don't have a better idea than adding a short note in
> > each
> > affected commands's page.
>
> OK, that works for now.

Committed.

The only changes are documentation and test updates.

This is a behavior change, so it still carries some risk, though we've
had a lot of discussion and generally it seems to be worth it. If it
turns out worse than expected during beta, of course we can re-revert
it.

I will restate the risks here, which come basically from two places:

(1) Functions called from index expressions which rely on search_path
(and don't have a SET clause).

Such a function would have already been fairly broken before my commit,
because anyone accessing the table without the right search_path would
have seen an error or wrong results. And there is no means to set the
"right" search_path for autoanalyze or logical replication, so those
would not have worked with such a broken function before my commit, no
matter what.

That being said, surely some users did have such broken functions, and
with this commit, they will have to remedy them with a SET clause.
Fortunately, the performance impact of doing so has been greatly
reduced.

(2) Matierialized views which call functions that rely on search_path
(and don't have a SET clause).

This is arguably a worse kind of breakage because materialized views
are often refreshed only by the table owner, and it's easier to control
search_path when running REFRESH. Additionally, functions called from
materialized views are more likely to be "interesting" than functions
called from an index expression. However, the remedy is
straightforward: use a SET clause.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis