Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2023-05-19 at 13:08 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2023-05-18 Th 19:53, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Kirk Wolak (wolakk@gmail.com) wrote:
> > > My approach for now is to develop this as the \st command.
> > > After reviewing the code/output from the 3 sources (psql, fdw, and
> > > pg_dump).
> >
> > Having this only available via psql seems like the least desirable
> > option as then it wouldn't be available to any other callers..
> >
> > Having it in libpq, on the other hand, would make it available to psql
> > as well as any other utility, library, or language / driver which uses
> > libpq, including pg_dump..
>
> I think the ONLY place we should have this is in server side functions.

+1

A function "pg_get_tabledef" would blend nicely into the following list:

\df pg_get_*def
                                       List of functions
   Schema   │              Name              │ Result data type │  Argument data types  │ Type
════════════╪════════════════════════════════╪══════════════════╪═══════════════════════╪══════
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_constraintdef           │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_constraintdef           │ text             │ oid, boolean          │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_functiondef             │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_indexdef                │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_indexdef                │ text             │ oid, integer, boolean │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_partition_constraintdef │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_partkeydef              │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_ruledef                 │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_ruledef                 │ text             │ oid, boolean          │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_statisticsobjdef        │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_triggerdef              │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_triggerdef              │ text             │ oid, boolean          │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_viewdef                 │ text             │ oid                   │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_viewdef                 │ text             │ oid, boolean          │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_viewdef                 │ text             │ oid, integer          │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_viewdef                 │ text             │ text                  │ func
 pg_catalog │ pg_get_viewdef                 │ text             │ text, boolean         │ func
(17 rows)

A server function can be conveniently called from any client code.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe