Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 9/3/19 2:11 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On 02/09/2019 17:19, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Thank you all for your feedback, it was incredibly helpful! I waited a
>> few days before incorporating changes to try to limit the back-and-forth.
>>
>> Please see attached for the latest draft. I tried to move this closer to
>> the final markdown version (e.g. to Peter's point above) though there is
>> some additional formatting I will provide before the final one.
>>
>> Again, please keep your feedback coming through September 6, 2019
>> AOE[1]. I will let you know if there is an extension, of course :) >
>> [...]
>>
>> # PostgreSQL 12 Released!
>
> I am not a native speaker but this sounds weird to me, shouldn't it say
> something like "is released" or "has been released"?

The pattern we've traditionally followed has been to do just
"Released"[1][2][3][4][5] including minor updates[6]. It is ok to say
this in English -- it's a declarative statement and is something you
often see in a headline, e.g. "PostgreSQL 12 Released! Millions Cheers!"
(...which, if that formulation is true, it doesn't sound so bad to me :)

If we want for a variation, I'd consider "is released" or "is now
released" to avoid the passive voice.

>> For a full list of features included in this release, please read the
>> release notes, which can be found at:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/static/release-12.html
>
> The "/static" part of url should be removed IMHO, shorter url without
> redirect is always better both for humans and for indexing.

Yeah, that one is a mistake, and slightly embarrassing given I wrote the
patch to make that redirect ;) Fixed attached.

Thanks!

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1894/
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1786/
[3] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1703/
[4] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1481/
[5] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1415/
[6] https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1960/

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft