Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?

От Matthew Nuzum
Тема Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 3/6/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> > My problem with running PG inside of a VPS was that the VPS used a
> > virtual filesystem... basically, a single file that had been formatted
> > and loop mounted so that it looked like a regular hard drive.
> > Unfortunately, it was very slow. The difference between my application
> > and yours is that mine well more than filled the 1GB of RAM that I had
> > allocated. If your data will fit comfortably into RAM then you may be
> > fine.
>
> We host VPSs here (http://www.hub.org) and don't use the 'single file,
> virtual file system' to put them into ... it must depend on where you
> host?

That's true... I hope I didn't imply that I am anti-vps, I run my own
servers and one of them is dedicated to doing VPS for different
applications. I think they're wonderful.

On 3/6/06, Nagita Karunaratne <nagita.k@gmail.com> wrote:
> From personal experience, would you run Postgres on a linux machine
> (NOT a  vps) with 512MB of ram?
>
> Assumining I can keep all my data in memory.

Nagita,

It all depends on performance... I have one postgres database that
runs on a Pentium 350MHz with 128MB of RAM. It does 1 insert per
minute 24 hours per day. Because the load is so low, I can get away
with minimal hardware.

If your application has a lot of inserts/updates then disk speed is
important and can vary greatly from one VPS to another.

If your application is not time-critical than this may be a moot point anyway.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org