RE: Question on upgrading postgresql from 10.7 to 11.5

От Lu, Dan
Тема RE: Question on upgrading postgresql from 10.7 to 11.5
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks!

I was misled by "pg_controldata" keyword and totally ignored the WAL segment size variable.

Much appreciated for your help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Julien Rouhaud [mailto:rjuju123@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 10:36 AM
To: Lu, Dan <Dan.Lu@sig.com>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Question on upgrading postgresql from 10.7 to 11.5

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Lu, Dan <Dan.Lu@sig.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my PG instance from 10.7 to 11.5.
>
> I got an error in doing so.  Any idea what I am missing?
>
> Example: pg_upgrade -d /hostname/pg/dpoc/data -D
> /hostname/pg/dpoc115/data -b /hostname/pg/PostgreSQL-10.7/bin -B
> /hostname/pg/PostgreSQL-11.5/bin -p 5432 -P 9432 -c -v
>
> Error message:
>
> old and new pg_controldata WAL segment sizes are invalid or do not
> match

The message is pretty much self explanatory.  It looks like you used "initdb --wal-segsize" for the 11.5 cluster using
avalue different from the one that were used in your 10.7 cluster (probably 16MB).  You can check the value for each
using"SHOW wal_segment_size".  You have to recreate a new pg11 data directory using the same value as the 10.7 one.
Whileat it, you should update the pg11 binary to the latest minor version, 11.6.

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email and/or its attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient,please notify the sender immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments.
Anyreview, use, reproduction, disclosure or dissemination of this message or any attachment by an unintended recipient
isstrictly prohibited. Neither this message nor any attachment is intended as or should be construed as an offer,
solicitationor recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. Neither the sender, his or her
employernor any of their respective affiliates makes any warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of any of the
informationcontained herein or that this message or any of its attachments is free of viruses.