Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?

От Stephen Cook
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 2017-06-15 15:14, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 06/14/2017 03:53 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Are you talking about PostgreSQL GUIs or MySQL?
>>
>> I would say he is referring to pgAdmin.
>
> I would never consider pgAdmin to be only one of two available GUIs.
> PgAdmin is fine for those who *must have Open Source* but there is also
> PostgreSQL Studio: http://www.postgresqlstudio.org/
>
> There are also some of them that are exceedingly mature such as Navicat
> and EMS SQL Manager for PostgreSQL.
>
> JD

I meant pgAdmin, as an analog to "MySQL Workbench", a GUI that "comes
with it" or is at least semi-official. Theirs works; PostgreSQL's is
abandoned and replaced with a beta web-app.

I'm not just being grumpy here. I have convinced clients to switch from
MySQL to PostgreSQL, and since this happened I have to explain every
time there is a new hire that they can download the broken-unsupported
version or the broken-by-design version, or find something else on the
internet at their leisure. When the next client is getting the
"PostgreSQL is better" speech, am I supposed to praise the benefits of
just using the command line? It makes the whole ecosystem look bad, from
the "people who wear suits and pay for everything" perspective. As an
advocate (to my clients at least) it makes me look bad.

-- Stephen

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?