Re: Rethinking MemoryContext creation

От ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Тема Re: Rethinking MemoryContext creation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't think silently breaking extensions is particularly attractive
>>> option, so I guess we'll have to run around and tweak the ~150 calls.
>>
>> Meh.  I suppose that of the ~150 call sites, there are probably only
>> a dozen or two where it would actually make a performance difference,
>> so maybe this needn't be quite as invasive as I first thought.
>
> I think changing only a subset of the call sites is unappealing
> because, even though it may not make a measurable performance
> difference in other cases, it may get cargo-culted into some place
> where it does make a difference.

Would it be acceptable to only get this optimisation on compilers that
support __builtin_constant_p or similar?  If so, the wrapper macro could
use that to automatically pass the no-copy flag when called with a
literal string.

- ilmari
--
"I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would use
 a lighthouse.  It's good to know where it is, but you generally