Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 22, 2024, at 9:43 AM, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:
> The possible solution would be
> 1) allow to run pg_createsubscriber if standby is initially stopped .
> I observed that pg_logical_createsubscriber also uses this approach.
> 2) read GUCs via SHOW command and restore them when server restarts

3. add a config-file option. That's similar to what pg_rewind does. I expect
that Debian-based installations will have this issue.

I also prefer the first solution.
Another reason why the standby should be stopped is for backup purpose.
Basically, the standby instance should be saved before running pg_createsubscriber.
An easiest way is hard-copy, and the postmaster should be stopped at that time.
I felt it is better that users can run the command immediately later the copying.
Thought?

It was not a good idea if you want to keep the postgresql.conf outside PGDATA.
I mean you need extra steps that can be error prone (different settings between
files).

Shlok, I didn't read your previous email carefully. :-/

--
Euler Taveira