Advice for geographically dispersed multi master

От Nikolai Lusan
Тема Advice for geographically dispersed multi master
Дата
Re: Advice for geographically dispersed multi master
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

/*
   Disclaimer:
   I am primarily a systems administrator with some database and DBA
   history. Although these days I would normally leave this kind of thing
   to a seasoned DBA this is for my personal use, and the use of a non-
   profit organisation that I am doing some volunteer support work for.
*/

So I am looking to move my current setup of 3 separate, individual,
postgres 11 servers into a multi master cluster. I have done this with
OpenLDAP, which is used for various purposes, but want to extend this to
cover my DB installs.

I have read the various replication and clustering documentation for
postgresql 11, and it looks like what I want is "Synchronous Multimaster
Replication". The organisation I am doing this for does not have the money
to throw at a commercial solution like BRD, but from my reading it looks
like PG v12 may have a method to make such a solution easier to achieve
with stock PG.

The three servers I am using are all in different DC's (2 VPS and one bare
metal install). I would like to have all my servers containing all the PG
databases on each server for various reasons (to supplement backups, and
make recovery faster/easier. To allow applications on different servers
access to various databases locally (rather than transmitting all SQL
requests over network). The list goes on, but I don't want to bore people
more than I already have.). There is also the possibility that a subset of
these databases may be replicated to a fourth, or even fifth location
depending on needs that arise.

So:
   1) Should I just wait for PG v12 to come out of RC status and try to set
      it up then?

   2) Is there are way to reconfigure my current servers to replicate the
      databases to the other servers?

   3) Is there a better way to do this full stop?

Any help/advice is greatly welcomed, and appreciated.

- --
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai@lusan.id.au>