Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 26.09.23 16:51, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
>> Also note that there are also dependencies in the other direction.  For
>> example, the psql help is compiled from XML DocBook sources.  So your
>> other patch would also need to include similar changesInclude() clauses.
>
> If there are more cases like this, it may not be worth it. Instead, we can just:
>
> - Build the docs when the doc related files are changed (This still
> creates a dependency like you said).
>
> - Skip CI completely if the README files are changed.
>
> What are your opinions on these?

I don't have a good sense of what you are trying to optimize for.  If
it's the mainline build-on-every-commit type, then I wonder how many
commits would really be affected by this.  Like, how many commits touch
only a README file.  If it's for things like the cfbot, then I think the
time-triggered builds would be more frequent than new patch versions, so
I don't know if these kinds of optimizations would affect anything.