win32 port

От nobody
Тема win32 port
Дата
Re: win32 port  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>)
Список pgsql-general
To begin with I am not sure this is a correct place to post this, if not
please let me know.

The PostgreSQL traditionally refuses to run under root account on Unix (for
security reasons). On win32 the situation is the same (it will not run if
run under user belonging to administrator group).
In my opinion this should not be the case on win32 as developers are likely
to belong to the administrators group and might like to run the database
under their account.

I think that issuing a warning (pop up window) at the start-up of the
postmaster would be enough, something like:

"Starting under privileged account is considered unsafe. Please consider
starting the database server under different user account."

Basically, the server should not impose the policy (under windows) giving
user the choice.

What do you think?