Re: Upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.3 to 11.6

От tony@exquisiteimages.com
Тема Re: Upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.3 to 11.6
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2019-12-20 09:02, Justin wrote:
> Hi Tony
>
> Can you describe the database in greater detail?  how many tables,
> type of data,   how big is the down time window?
>
> So this will be on new server hardware, and new DB install,  what OS?
> and extensions being used,  has there been any testing
>
>  with apps on latter versions of PostgreSQL???
>
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM <tony@exquisiteimages.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a PostgreSQL 9.3 installation that I finally have time to
>> migrate
>> to a currently supported version. The server that the installation
>> is
>> installed on is also at its end of service.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with completing this conversion as securely and
>> efficiently as possible with the least amount of down time? Also,
>> once
>> it has been converted over, is there any best practice for ensuring
>> that
>> there has been no corruption?
>>
>> The database is 600GB in size. We do not have any custom types being
>>
>> used.
>>
>> Thanks for any direction.

Thanks for the reply!

New Server OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04.3 LTS

Schemas: 9,000

Total Tables: 900,000

Data is mostly transactional detail (90%), some summary tables (8%), and
basic client demographic data (2%)

Everyone wants the down time to be zero, but I don't think that is
really possible. I am thinking about 4 hours on a weekend night is going
to be what I can get approved.

My plan was to go through the conversion process once to see if
everything goes well. I would then use the new server as a test server
and run our full battery of applications against it to make sure that we
obtain the same results as from a back copy of the live database.