Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-12-06 We 17:56, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 3:38 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
So the questions are:
1. Do those two formats work for the initial implementation?

Yes.  We provide a stream-oriented format and one atomic-import format.

2. Is the default correct or should it be switched
    e.g. rather than specifying FORCE_ARRAY to get an
    array, something like FORCE_NO_ARRAY to get JSON lines
    and the JSON array is default?

No default?

Require explicit of a sub-format when the main format is JSON.

JSON_OBJECT_ROWS
JSON_ARRAY_OF_OBJECTS

For a future compact array-structured-composites sub-format:
JSON_ARRAY_OF_ARRAYS
JSON_ARRAY_ROWS

No default seems unlike the way we treat other COPY options. I'm not terribly fussed about which format to have as the default, but I think we should have one.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan