Re: Document target_role param of ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Document target_role param of ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, 2023-11-01 at 13:09 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 08:16:13AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-02-17 at 15:08 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> > > I just had a confusing moment trying to figure out why my roles
> > > weren't creating tables the way I was expecting them to. I didn't
> > > understand what the `target_role` parameter did. No matter how I try
> > > to read this page, I can't see an explanation for that parameter:
> > >
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-alterdefaultprivileges.html
> > >
> > > I propose an explanation like the following be added to the
> > > `target_role` parameter:
> > >
> > >     This is the role that will create objects with altered default
> > >     privileges. Note that changes in default privileges aren't
> > >     inherited, so altering the default privileges of created objects
> > >     for a parent role will not change the default privileges of
> > >     objects created by inherited roles.
> >
> > +1.  I cannot count the number of times I have seen people confused by that.
> >
> > Suggested patch attached.
>
> I see how people can be confused.  I wrote this patch, which I think is
> simpler than the previously posted one.

Oh, I had forgotten about this patch.  I like your version better.

There is another patch in the current commitfest that addresses a similar
problem, triggered by another complaint:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/45/4633/

That patch does not cover role membership.  Perhaps you could adopt that
patch and merge the information from your patch into it.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Documentation of return values of range functions lower and upper
Сообщение: Re: Documentation of return values of range functions lower and upper