Re: undetected deadlock in ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: undetected deadlock in ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12/4/23 12:37, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 9:52 PM Shlok Kyal <shlok.kyal.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> thread. I think you can compare the timing of regression tests in
>>> subscription, with and without the patch to show there is no
>>> regression. And probably some tests with a large number of tables for
>>> sync with very little data.
>>
>> I have tested the regression test timings for subscription with and
>> without patch. I also did the timing test for sync of subscription
>> with the publisher for 100 and 1000 tables respectively.
>> I have attached the test script and results of the timing test are as follows:
>>
>> Time taken for test to run in Linux VM
>> Summary                                |  Subscription Test (sec)
>> |    100 tables in pub and Sub (sec)    |  1000 tables in pub and Sub
>> (sec)
>> Without patch Release           |  95.564
>>  |     7.877                                             |   58.919
>> With patch Release                |  96.513
>>    |     6.533                                             |   45.807
>>
>> Time Taken for test to run in another Linux VM
>> Summary                                |  Subscription Test (sec)
>> |    100 tables in pub and Sub (sec)    |  1000 tables in pub and Sub
>> (sec)
>> Without patch Release           |  109.8145
>> |    6.4675                                           |    83.001
>> With patch Release                |  113.162
>>    |    7.947                                              |   87.113
>>

> So, on some machines, it may increase the test timing although not too
> much. I think the reason is probably doing the work in multiple
> transactions for multiple relations. I am wondering that instead of
> committing and starting a new transaction before
> wait_for_relation_state_change(), what if we do it inside that
> function just before we decide to wait? It is quite possible that in
> many cases we don't need any wait at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do it". What should the function do?

As for the test results, I very much doubt the differences are not
caused simply by random timing variations, or something like that. And I
don't understand what "Performance Machine Linux" is, considering those
timings are slower than the other two machines.

Also, even if it was a bit slower, does it really matter? I mean, the
current code is wrong, can lead to infinite duration if it happens to
hit the deadlock. And it's a one-time action, I don't think it's a very
sensitive in terms of performance.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra