Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/8/23 3:10 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd planned to write this soon anyway, but it was just brought up in [1].
>
> Originally we had planned to drop src/tools/msvc support shortly after meson
> went in. Unfortunately, it took a bit longer than originally hoped for to
> merge meson support and then longer than hoped to add buildfarm support. I
> don't think there's been any buildfarm client release with meson support yet -
> but we do have windows buildfarm animals using it.
>
> Do we want to drop src/tools/msvc support in 16 (i.e. now), or do it early in
> 17?
>
> I do have a set of patches removing src/tools/msvc. There are a few loose ends
> that I know of (my eyes glaze over every time I try to reconcile the
> src/tools/perl.m4 comments with the referenced comments in Mkvcbuild.pm), and
> probably more small references that grep terms didn't find.

(reads [1])

Can we treat this as an "open item" for completing the transition to
meson for builds as part of v16?

With my personal hat on, it seems silly to wait until v17 to do this,
and I don't see why we would want to wait. If there's limited risk in
doing this and it'll make our builds both more stable + faster, it seems
like we should just do it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения