Password leakage avoidance

От Joe Conway
Тема Password leakage avoidance
Дата
Re: Password leakage avoidance  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I have recently, once again for the umpteenth time, been involved in
discussions around (paraphrasing) "why does Postgres leak the passwords
into the logs when they are changed". I know well that the canonical
advice is something like "use psql with \password if you care about that".

And while that works, it is a deeply unsatisfying answer for me to give
and for the OP to receive.

The alternative is something like "...well if you don't like that, use
PQencryptPasswordConn() to roll your own solution that meets your
security needs".

Again, not a spectacular answer IMHO. It amounts to "here is a
do-it-yourself kit, go put it together". It occurred to me that we can,
and really should, do better.

The attached patch set moves the guts of \password from psql into the
libpq client side -- PQchangePassword() (patch 0001).

The usage in psql serves as a ready built-in test for the libpq function
(patch 0002). Docs included too (patch 0003).

One thing I have not done but, considered, is adding an additional
optional parameter to allow "VALID UNTIL" to be set. Seems like it would
be useful to be able to set an expiration when setting a new password.

I will register this in the upcoming commitfest, but meantime
thought/comments/etc. would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team