Re: Partitioned tables as a poor mans columnar index?

От marcin mank
Тема Re: Partitioned tables as a poor mans columnar index?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Peter Hunsberger
<peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:

> The basic problem I have is that I have some tables that are
> potentially very long (100,000's to millions of rows) and very skinny,

> and I end up with maybe a total of 12 bits of data in each row.

Are You aware that there are some 20-ish bytes of metadata for each
row? saving 4 bytes buys You nothing. Give it up.

Also, these are actually pretty small tables (i.e. they fit in memory
of any non-toy server).

Greetings
Marcin