Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?

От Tobias May
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hi all,

after one week I thank you all for your supportive responses.

I'm not happy with the current GUI situation, either.
But it was not my intention to provoke a negative mood. :-/
I really appreciate the current efforts, in particular pgAdmin4.
Let's say that it's getting better.

PS: Bad english disclaimer: It's not my native tongue. ;-)

Regards,
Tobias

Am 14.06.2017 um 23:58 schrieb Stephen Cook:
> On 2017-06-14 15:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 06/09/2017 11:58 AM, Tobias May wrote:
>>> Mellow Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I'm a junior DBA and PostgreSQL-enthusiast. Last year I switched to a
>>> company where they promised to me the opportunity to dive deeper into
>>> PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> At that time there was a lead developer, who was a
>>> PostgreSQL-enthusiast, too. And there was an agreement that PostgreSQL
>>> is the primary database backend for our product. Unfortunately she has
>>> been frozen out by non-technical decision makers. Now there is only one
>>> colleague and me (without authority to decide) left to advocate PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> Most of the developers in the company are used to MySQL. Although they
>>> seem to accept PostgreSQL some still subtly question the decision and
>>> I'm feeling, that I have to constantly defend the decision for PostgreSQL.
>>
>> I suggest you try a different tack: ask the developers what they
>> *specifically* don't like about PostgreSQL.  It's quite possible that
>> their issues are things you could easily help with -- like installing
>> PostgreSQL on their laptops, or permissions.  If you remove their main
>> reasons to gripe, then things will be a lot easier.
>>

> Don't mention that the two available GUIs are either discontinued or
> beta at best.
>

> -- Stephen

Вложения