Re: Parsing config files in a directory

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> When and if there is some evidence of people actually getting confused,
> we could consider trying to auto-comment-out duplicate settings.  But
> I've never heard of any other tool doing that, and fail to see why we
> should think Postgres needs to.

It's what people tend to do when editing the postgresql.conf file(s) by
hand, which is why I think there's some expectation that tools will
continue that behavior.  What everyone should understand is that we don't
have more tools exactly because their design always gets burdened with
details like that.  This is easy to handle by hand, but hard to get a
program to do in a way that satisfies what everyone is looking for.
Raising the bar for tool-assisted changes (and I'm including SET
PERSISTENT in that category) like that is one reason so few such tools
have been written.