Re: pgbench small bug fix

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: pgbench small bug fix
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Alvaro,

>>> Attached is a v3 which test integers more logically. I'm a lazy
>>> programmer who tends to minimize the number of key strokes.
>>
>> Well. From what I can tell this patch is Ready for Committer.
>
> I'm not a fan of this approach either.  Would it be too complicated if
> we had a global variable that indicates which thread is the progress
> reporter?  We start that with thread 0, but if the reporter thread
> finishes its transactions then it elects some other thread which hasn't
> yet finished.  For this to work, each thread would have to maintain in a
> global variable whether it has finished or not.

Hmmm.

Probably it is possible, but it will sure need more that one little
condition to be achieved... I do not think that introducing a non trivial
distributed election algorithm involving locks and so would be a good
decision for this very little matter.

My advice is "keep it simple".

If this is a blocker, I can sure write such an algorithm, when I have some
spare time, but I'm not sure that the purpose is worth it.

--
Fabien.