Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2024-02-16 at 13:08 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> I'd suggest we strike a balance here - error out in assert builds if
> startptr+count is past the current insert position and trust the
> callers for production builds.

It's not reasonable to have divergent behavior between assert-enabled
builds and production. I think for now I will just commit the Assert as
Andres suggested until we work out a few more details.

One idea is to use Álvaro's work to eliminate the spinlock, and then
add a variable to represent the last known point returned by
WaitXLogInsertionsToFinish(). Then we can cheaply Assert that the
caller requested something before that point.

> Here, I'm with v23 patch set:

Thank you, I'll look at these.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis