Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Дата
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  ("Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan@greenplum.com>)
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hi guys,

   I have tried to follow the thread and I would like to play the devil's advocate for a few minutes. Although I really like to use Postgres (which - as Josh stated earlier - for latin countries is much easier to pronounce), I want to raise a few issues that could possibly regard the Italian community (but I guess could be shared by other communities as well).

   In particular:

1) we have recently organised the first PostgreSQL conference ever to be held in Italy and ... people now know better what PostgreSQL is
2) we have prepared and published the first Italian flyer about PostgreSQL (and not Postgres)
3) we have invested time and money in organising merchandising (some of which is i18n-compliant too, such as t-shirts, notepads, eco-friendly shoppers and pens) with PostgreSQL logo and title on such items

    It goes without saying that all this stuff won't be usable anymore if we decide to change name in the short term. I would rather suggest to properly plan a name switch and promote it and inform the community in the next couple of years. Maybe something like: "From 2009 it will be Postgres again".

   We must acknowledge that the community is not only people that develop PostgreSQL or use it daily, but also companies and users around the world that have based their products on PostgreSQL and ... I feel like we should inform them properly and give them enough time to plan their strategies (if any).

For instance, what about a company that uses PostgreSQL as their backend DB and has prepared promotional stuff that states that: I guess it would be more fair if at least we give this company the chance to change its flyers / promotional info accordingly or at least plan it.

   Thank you.

Ciao,
Gabriele