Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgresQL

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgresQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/10/19 5:27 AM, Олег Самойлов wrote:
> My vote to change official name form PostgreSQL to PostgresQL. The reason is: many young people look at PostgreSQL
andthink that the short name is Postgre. Sounded awfully, especially in Russian, tied to fix neighbours. With
PostgresQLthey will think that the short name is Postgres and this is good. Also will be opinion that PostgreQL =
PostgresQuery Language, this is also true, due to lack in Postgres many standard SQL features still.

There was a very long thread on -advocacy about this:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/200709021633490000%402178418992

It ended up(sort of) with PostgreSQL as the official name and Postgres
as 'official' secondary/alternate name. Can't remember if it was this
thread or another where naming questions got spun off into a separate
list in order to prevent a repeat endless discussion. All of this is the
long way of saying I doubt anyone will want to go down this path again.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: PGUSER and initdb